A False Trial (Part 2)

"Oberyn!!"I hissed, hiding my face in my septa's cloak as I neared him.

When I was close enough, I reached out and grabbed the leather belt around his waist, pulling with such force it nearly threw him off his feet.

"Wolf."Oberyn kept my hands pinned to his hips. "What are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here??" I snapped. "Siding with the crown, acting as a judge against Tyrion?"

"There are reasons behind whatever I do," Oberyn assured me, reaching under my cloak to place his hands on my shoulders, discreetly pulling me to him. "But after this, you need to see me."

"See you?"

Oberyn squeezed my shoulders, kneading the soft flesh of my biceps like a baker kneads dough. "The sight of you alone turns me on, wolf,"he said. "It's taking so much of my willpower just to stop myself from taking you behind the Red Keep and fucking you senseless."

"Stop,"I begged, twisting out of his grasp. "Save it for later."

"Very well, then. Come to me after this and we'll make arrangements." He gave me a gentle push in the direction of the assembling crowd, but not before pressing his lips to my ear to whisper, "I'm going to make you scream, wolf. I'm going to make you scream so loud the direwolves in the North will howl back."

My cheeks turned a bright red, and I leaped away from him, darting into the crowd. Oberyn spun on his heel and took his place on the dais just as Tywin began to speak.

"The crown may call its next witness."

I watched Tyrion's expression morph into one of horror as a woman entered the throne room. She had dark hair and eyes, and pale skin,and wore a simple rose-brown dress. Her hands were clasped before her as she walked, and her face was composed in a mask of indifference.My heart jumped as I recognized her—my handmaiden from my days in the Red Keep.

Shae.

She mounted the witness's box, casting Tywin a fleeting glance before cutting her gaze to her feet.

"State your name," Tywin prompted.

"Shae."

"Do you swear by all the gods that your testimony will be true and honest?" Tywin asked.

"I swear it," Shae replied.

"Do you know this man?"

Shae turned to look at Tyrion, who swallowed and composed his face,before turning to face Tywin.

"Yes. Tyrion Lannister."

"How do you know this man?" Tywin asked.

"I was handmaiden to his wife, Lady Sansa," Shae replied.

"This man stands accused of murdering King Joffrey," Tywin said. "What do you know of this?"

"I know that he's guilty," Shae replied.

Of course. Don't we all? I thought, biting back a snide laugh.

"He and Sansa planned it together," Shae said.

A liar. My jaw dropped as shouts of disapproval rang from the crowd.

"Silence!"Tywin shouted. "Continue," he said to Shae.

"She wanted revenge for her father, her brother, her mother. She blamed their deaths on the king. Tyrion was happy to help. He hated Joffrey;he hated the queen. He hated you, my lord. He stole poison from the Grand Maester to put in Joffrey's wine."