Chapter 5

The badger snarled as two young badgers dashed out of the set. Lightning yelped and the mother crashed down, her massive paws just missing Lightning. Lightning bit the badger's nose as hard as she could and ran again, but being more tired she was too slow.

A heavy paw caught Lightning in the side and she went flying and crashed into another wolf. Lilac! "L-Lilac," Lightning gasped.

"Pup! Why are you out here?" Lilac then noticed the badger. Lilac quickly picked Lightning up by the scruff and ran in the opposite direction.

"I-I can r-run myself, you know, L-Lilac," Lightning whimpered. Soon Lilac topped and set Lightning down.

"How do you know my name, pup?"

"It's me, Lilac, Lightning! Sun-Wolf and Moon-Wolf have given me another chance!" Lightning said, gazing into Lilac's eyes. Lila nodded without any further question about who she was.

"Who are your parents now?"

"Thunder and Winter, but neither believe it's really me. So I ran away."

"Ahh, well, our pack and your brother's pack have joined together. Come back with me to our main camp," Lilac nudged Lightning.

"No, not before we give me a new name." Lightning stomped her paw.

Lilac nodded. "How about Shadow, you sure look like one."

"Okay, now let's hurry. Who KNOWS what we're missing!"

Lilac and Lightning began to run when Missile, or Alpha, stepped in front of them. "What is that pup doing here?" he snarled.

"I rescued her from a badger. Her name is Shadow," Lilac said. Lightning pretended to be shy.

"She doesn't belong here."

Lightning perked up. "Th-Thunder and Winter a-are my parents!"

"That doesn't make an exception," Alpha snarled. "And you look like a runt!"

"But Alpha-"

Lilac was cut off as Missile leaped forward and shredded Lilac's neck, killing her almost immediately. Lightning turned to run, but Alpha jumped up and pinned her to the ground. Lilac, gasping for air, watched in horror as Missile snapped Lightning's neck with a quick jerk of his paw.