Chapter 1: My First Case

I've always wanted to be a detective since I was like, maybe five years old. Over the years as I've grown up, I've played so many detective games with my brother, Justin. (By the way, I like pie.) All the books I've ever gotten in school from the library has been mystery books. The game we played I most remember, I only played once. The game was called, "Case of the Half-Eaten Chicken." We played when we were ten.

It all started one lovely Christmas Eve, we were having a nice little dinner with my family. My mother was an excellent cook, and she had made the most brilliant chicken meal I've ever seen in my entire life. It was only twelve noon, and we would begin dining at five. My stomach was growling louder than a giant monster roaring as loud as he could in a deserted cavern.

All day, while we were waiting for the dinner, my cousins, my brother, and I, all played games in the backyard. But, unfortunately, I could not focus on our games of tag, and hide-n-go-seek, or even Marco Polo, due to that mouth-watering chicken on my mind.

Lucky for me, time passed quickly due to all of our fun. My mother came outside and motioned for us to come in. "You'll catch a cold! Come in now, dinners ready."

All of the kids ran in, eager to get their hands on the dessert. I was different though, I focused more on the chicken. I don't know what it is about chicken, it just tastes so good, all of the texture of the delicious sauce, blending in with the tender chewiness of the meat. It might seem weird for me to love meat that much, being a lady, but I do. When I settled down at the table, I got my fork and knife ready. I stared at all of the mouth-watering food: crispy buttered rolls, elegant scones, lovely, cupcakes, and best of all, the best chicken ever.

Actually, I technically couldn't see the chicken, it was in a container. I don't know what they're called, but they're like those containers with plates and a lid on top. As we all settled down and had all of the side items on our dish, my aunt got ready to get out the chicken. I couldn't believe my eyes; when she opened it, the chicken was covered in bite marks and was half-eaten!

"What?!" My mother yelled, "which one of you kids has been sneaking food?" She looked at all of the children, knowing nobody would confess. "Well, until I find out who did it, none of you get dessert!"

We all gasped, NO DESSERT? It was a nightmare come true! I knew now was a time to test my detective skills, it's now, or never. As soon as we all finished eating, I decided to gather my suspects. The criminal mind who has done this must be a kid. After all, why would an adult do it? I went in my room, got my notebook, and wrote down the names of my cousins and brother. I would have to put together all the clues, kinda like a very large and complicated jigsaw puzzle. This is my full list of possible criminals:

Justin,

Lucy,

Kayla,

Charlie.

It's not much, but the culprit has to be on this list. I set out to solve this case. I grabbed my fuzzy gray cat, Mr. Fluffy McSnuggle Pants. Every detective has an assistant! Fluffy would help me as much as he could on this case. I rubbed his soft fluffy fur. "Won't you Mr. Fluffy?"

He looked at me like like I was an idiot. He did that a lot to me, but I didn't mind. Cats will be cats.

A moment later, I gathered all of the possible criminals in my play room. I started to explain what was going on. "As you all know, someone has ate, and ruined the Christmas chicken. I know, this is the crime of the century."

Charlie raised his hand. I sighed. "Yes, Charlie?"

"Well, you told us that we'd get free cupcakes if we came," said Charlie.