Episode 7

Bambi's PoV-

"Resort, resort, we're so happy!" I giggled at the servants' excitement as they chanted the phrase over and over again. I was by Sebastian's side as he drove Ciel's carriage, the servants' were behind us. I had turned in my seat, watching Finny and the others. "Isn't this wonderful, Mey-Rin? I'm so moved!" Finny's joy filled tone made me smile and Mey-Rin enthusiastically agreed. I tuned out the rest of their conversation as a sign caught my eye.

"Welcome to Houndsworth?" I mumbled to myself, unbelieving of the state of the sign. There was a dog collar covered in spikes hanging on the sign, a crow was perched on it, watching me with beady eyes. I felt the carriage stop and looked up to Sebastian. "This would seem to be the entrance to the village." He said, speaking loudly for the others to hear. My jaw dropped and I felt my back burn in pain as I looked at the large tree beside us.

The tree was dead, no leaves covered it's branches. Several dog collars that matched the one on the sign were hanging from the spindly branches. The skulls of dogs were scattered among the base of the tree.

My horror was interrupted by the screams of the servants. I gasped and looked back at them, only to catch Ciel's eye. He was smirking. "I forgot to tell you one thing: this is the planned construction site for the resort." I smiled, amused, and shook my head at the boy's antics. As the servants whimpered, I remembered the conversation Sebastian, Ciel, and I had before we left.

Flashback

Sebastian and I had just served Ciel's afternoon snack and tea, we were waiting for him to finish when he spoke up, making Sebastian frown in confusion. "A trip? In this season?" The demon questioned, catching my attention.

"Are you two familiar with the leisure activity known as bear baiting?" Ciel asked, sipping his tea. I shook my head as Sebastian replied, "The words seems entertaining and quite attractive to me, but I'm afraid not."

"They tied a bear to a fence with a rope or cord, and fighting dogs surrounded it, bit at it, and killed it." I gasped, distraught at Ciel's words. "My, that sounds very human-like." Sebastian smiled. "It was banned by the Cruelty to Animals Act of 1835, but there was a loophole: the law didn't apply to the attack dogs. What do you think happened to them." I felt tears prick my eyes at Ciel's implications. "No..." I whispered, my head going to the worst case scenario.

"I imagine they began having the dogs attack their own kind. Perhaps you would call it 'dog-baiting'?" I shake my head, biting my lip so my tears wouldn't fall. I could feel Ciel's eye on me as he began to eat his sweet snack. "There's a village doing just that: Houndsworth. The place was originally famous for rearing hunting dogs, but behind closed doors, they..." Ciel trailed off and I pictured one terrified dog surrounded by four snarling dogs. I closed my eyes and saw the four leap at the one and tear him to shreds. I gasp and open my eyes, glad to be back in the study.

"She is heartsick. We'll secure that village under the pretext of making it a health resort. That's the goal of this journey." I tune back into what Ciel was saying. "A village full of dogs, eh?" I smirk at Sebastian's underlying tone. "What is it?" Ciel asked, curious. "Merely that securing a construction site seems like a quite trifling job for you to be concerned with." The butler bowed his head, placing his hand over his chest.

"There is a reason. A reason why I, why the house of Phantomhive, must go to Houndsworth in person."

Present Time

I was brought out of my memories when I heard Finny's voice echo through the air. "Hey, I found the first villager! Stop the carriage, Tanaka!" I looked to where the teen was pointing and saw an old woman pushing a stroller. The stroller seemed to be stuck in the mud and the woman was pushing at it. I feared the stroller would fall into the lake that was right beside her and acted on instinct.