chapter 18

The day after, Neru walked to school with Haku. She had spent the night over at their house and they both were anxiously waiting for the day to end. After all, Neru was to return living with her mother after school ended.

Her father had been talked out of filing for custody once Nero mentioned there would be frequent visits with a social worker. He really was a great brother who understood Neru's values in life.

It didn't take long before they saw the aftermath of Neru's decisions though. Whispers and strange looks followed both girls throughout their classes. At lunch, the rumors finally spread to Neru's ears.

"I heard she slept with the choir teacher to get into this school."

"Well I heard that she only hangs out with Yowane-sama because Yowane-sama threatened to kill herself if she didn't."

"She was in the hospital, didn't you hear? They say Akita-sama put her there."

Each rumor got uglier than the last and it wasn't hard to tell where they were coming from. Across the room, Miku was sitting completely surrounded by people. They were listening intently to her every word while glancing back towards the girls.

Neru would have dealt with it right then and there if it hadn't been for Haku. It wasn't worth fighting, but Neru disagreed. She was tired of the fact that Haku just let them say whatever they wanted to.

So she had to wait until after school to eradicate the problem. Haku and Dell were waiting in the car so that they could pick up Nero. But that wasn't very important right now. What was important was standing approximately 10 steps away.

The teal haired princess was chatting to Luka, Gumi, Meiko, and Kaito. THey didn't see her coming. Neru took her time before resting her arm on Miku's shoulder.

"Oh Miku-chan. I've been meaning to talk with you today," Neru's voice was sweetly sour.

"We have nothing to talk about, Akita-san."

"So that's it then? You think I'll just walk away quietly?"

Luka approached Neru and took over dealing with her so that Miku didn't have to. She removed Neru's arm from Miku and spoke plainly when she said, "You don't just get to come talk to her whenever you need something. She doesn't exist for you to use her."

Neru tried not to laugh. Miku was so spoiled that she couldn't even fight her own battles. The others seemed to be on edge. They should be on edge, Neru thought.

"Miku-chan, I never meant for you to feel used. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me."

"Just leave her alone."

"Oh well, I tried."

Neru moved past Luka, and grabbed Miku's arm and pulled the girl closer. She forced Miku to face her and whispered the words, "I said that I'd been meaning to talk with you."

"What the hell Akita, let her go!"

Miku didn't fight back, she knew she couldn't win even if she tried. That was a good choice, Neru could have easily broken Miku's arm had she tried to get away.

"What do you want to talk about?"

"Oh, that," Neru said with a smile, "I had to leave before punching you last night and wanted to make sure you didn't feel left out."

She punched Miku square in the nose, feeling it buckle under the pressure. It was broken and blood started to pour out of it like a faucet. The best part though, was Miku's scream. Neru let her go and the princess fell to the ground, clutching her nose.

"If you say anything about Haku again, you're going to have much worse to deal with. Understand?"

"Y-Yes."

No one stopped Neru as she tried to leave. Kaito did follow her though, leaving the others to help his girlfriend. "Wait! Neru-chan... Will you just wait for a second?"

"What do you want?"

"I just wanted you to know that I didn't have anything to do with the rumors."

"Does it matter?"

"It does to me."

"Why?"

"Because you're a pretty cool person and I'd hate to lose you as a friend. Can we still be friends?"

"We'll see."