chapter 19

The drive to the prison was short lived. Neru hopped out of the car before Dell had even finished parking. The others followed suit once the car was parked, and the four of them made their way inside. It was time to pick up the Akitas' mother.

A few more papers had to be signed before they released her. She walked out looking pretty smug and happy about the whole thing. There wasn't a moment that she had been locked away that she thought she would stay there, and it showed. Nero hugged her and she thanked him for being such a good son. He led her out to the car.

His sister stayed behind, taking a seat on one of the waiting room chairs.

"Are you okay?" Haku asked, sitting next to her friend.

"Yeah... I can stay over whenever I need to?"

"Yes. You don't even have to ask. Just show up."

"I don't want to be a bother."

This time it was Dell's turn to comfort her, "It's better to be a bother than to get hit. Don't hesitate to come over."

Neru took a deep breath and thanked them both. She was lucky to have both of them in her life. It had only been a week since they all met, and she couldn't imagine a life without them in it.

"Ready to go?"

"Yeah."

Dell helped her up and they walked out to the car hand in hand. Haku followed behind slowly, thinking that perhaps, her brother wasn't quite so disgusting. She had been too harsh. Feelings are complicated, she reminded herself as they went to start their new lives.

"Took you long enough," Neru's mother commented once they got to the car.

Neru gave Dell's hand a squeeze as she whispered, "Can I spend the night tonight?"

He gave a calming smile as he said, "Of course."