5. Snobs and Snogs

"Listen here, Delta," my father had said, placing both his hands on the counter in our kitchen and leaning into the conversation

"Listen here, Delta," my father had said, placing both his hands on the counter in our kitchen and leaning into the conversation. "Your mother and I know you're a very smart girl, which is why we're giving you this one night to have fun."

I smiled at him. Then my mother chimed in. "We're letting you go to the party, but you're going to make it up to us by doing what we tell you to."

I nodded my head. "Chores, extra job, volunteering, count me in. I'll do it if it means I can go to the party," I told them.

They looked at each other with uncertainty as if I was trustworthy, but not trustworthy enough. My heart almost sank.

"We already have something in min—"

"Really? What?" I asked, curiosity shining through my skin.

"You'll find that out soon enough, when you come back from the party," Dad told me.

Now, looking at the full-body mirror in my room I gaze at my reflection, admiring the outfit I chose to wear for tonight. It's nothing fancy. Not a dress, nothing glamorous. Just a plain long-sleeve shirt and some jeans.

I walk downstairs and out the door, unlocking the car parked in the driveway and climbing into the driver's seat. I suddenly get a call from an unknown number, and not knowing who it is, I answer it with caution.

"Hello?"

"Be ready. I'm picking you up in five minutes," Xavier's voice mutters. I roll my eyes, tempted to hang up right on his face.

"I'm not going anywhere with you," I snap, then end the call immediately, tossing my phone in the back seat. To my surprise, it doesn't buzz again signalling another call.

The drive to Arden's house isn't that long, and I bask in the silence of being by myself for the time that I'm alone. I've spent all this time in a crammed car with a boy I absolutely hated, so it feels nice to finally have a space like this all to myself.

All too soon, I'm in Arden's driveway and she's getting into the passenger seat of the car,

"Shit," she mumbles, bumping her head on the ceiling of the vehicle. I bite back a giggle and ask if she's okay.

"Yeah, but tell your dad to get a bigger car," she grunts. Unlike me, she's wearing a dress that barely covers her arms or legs. She looks like a goddess, ready to take on anything.

"Aren't you gonna be cold in that?" I ask, pointing to her outfit.

"I'm all good," she says smiling before closing the car door behind her.

She gives me directions to Logan's house, at the same time blasting the radio and singing the words horrifically, all while getting the lyrics to all the songs completely wrong.

I have to be honest, I envy how crazy she is. She's so care free, so lively and full of fun, her mind is filled with nothing but pure bliss and content.