the ball

The next few days were nothing short of hell.

Mr. Steele was impossible.

"Sir? Can I come in, it's urgent," I asked as I knocked on his door.

"Very well."

As I walked in, he was looking out his huge window
and did not turn around.

"So, is it too early to ask off of work?"

What's the worst he can say? no.

"And why exactly do you need off?"

didn't hear a no

"Isn't that my business?" I put a hand on my hip.

He turned around, and through the shadows I could see his dark eyes fixing their gaze on me.

Silence.

I kept looking down as I saw he was still looking at me.

"I can come back lat-"

"Why is your leg shaking?" he cut me off.

probably because i'm terrified of you

"No reason." is all i replied.

Silence.

"Yes."

is he being nice? is he actually letting me off?

"Yes, I can have the day off?" I started getting excited.

"Yes, it is too early to ask such a thing. I have not taken a day off in two years. If you would like to take the day off then so be it, but you can take all of the other days off as well."

oh..never mind.

"I see. Thank you for your time, Sir," I managed to get out while clenching my teeth.

"Also, Ms. Stanton. I believe I told you about your wardrobe in the office. I will not repeat myself again."

I looked down at my outfit and realized my skirt was ripped up the side a slight bit, revealing my upper thigh.

oops.

"Sorry, Sir."

Well, I guess this whole ball thing won't work out then.

-
-
I went home that day a slight bit sad. Which was an unfamiliar feeling as I saw to it that I never let myself feel just about anything.

But this ball seemed like it could be a night where I forget about work and school and just be a 19 year old again. That my sound silly, but Avery was right when she told me I didn't do anything for myself.

Now to tell her.

"Hey Aves" I called out as I slipped out of my shoes and coat.

"Gabbie! I found the perfect dress for you to wear tomorrow, now as for your hair and makeup, I trust you can do it. Eight A.M. is when we can start on the process of all of this. I have made arrangements for us to travel in a carriage, fancy I know, but I wanted your one night out to be spectacu-"