measurements

"I am most definitely professional, Mr. Steele."

Silence.

I grabbed my measuring strip and turned back towards him.

I started by from his shoulder down to his wrist.

"So, who's getting married?" I asked trying to keep this situation as least awkward as it can be.

Silence.

Okay got it, no small talk, no jokes, no laughing.

I wrapped the strip around his waist, and he tensed up from the touch of my hand on his torso.

He looked at his watch

...implying that I was taking a long time to complete this task.

I felt his hard chest as I measured down his torso. Oof.

I wrote down all of the waist up measurements, and realized that now was the time to measure below the belt.

Kind of awkward to be eye level with your boss' unmentionables, but I am professional.

I squatted on the floor as he looked away.

I thought I would make a joke of 'Sir, I promise I will not try anything while I'm down here,' but I thought it best to refrain.

I began measuring his legs, trying to steer away from all of his areas, but my hand sort of...slipped and brushed past it.

"Ms. Stanton, what exactly do you think you are doing?" he said, still not looking at me nor showing emotion.

"I apologize Sir, my hand slipped," I backed away now realizing that this was probably the worst outcome that could've happened.

After all that embarrassment, I quickly finished writing down the measurements as he left the room.

Good God.

As I was leaving work I decided to knock on his door, and try to justify that I was a good tailor and all that had happened was just nerves.

I knocked on his door.

Silence.

I knocked again.

Silence.

I decided to knock once more, but the door quickly swung open with an angry looking Mr. Steele standing in the doorway.

"What is the meaning of this interruptance, Ms. Stanton?"

"I just..I um-"

"Ms. Stanton, I am a very busy man. I do not have time to stand around listening to your stutters." his eyes were so cold.

"Sorry, Sir. I will just be on my way then."

"What did you want?" he asked, to my surprise.

"Sir?" I didn't think I had heard him correctly.

"I do not like repeating myself."

He extended his hand as if to invite me to have a seat.

At this point, I did not question it.

"Of course Sir, I just came to apologize. I am quite dedicated to my position, I just feel a bit flustered around you and-"

"Flustered?" he leaned against his desk.

"Well, yes. You are quite intimidating."

He was not looking at me, but I was looking at his grey, emotionless eyes. He was so dark, his hair, his eyes, his demeanor.

"But, I just wanted to say that I'm grateful for this opportunity, and I know you are busy, but I felt as though it should be said," I somehow got out with all the shifting and shaking I was doing.

He looked at me, and it felt like he was staring into my soul.

He nodded, and then sat down back at his desk as if to signal me to leave.

As I was leaving, he finally spoke.

"See to it that you do not bother me with things so minuscule such as this."

Wow what a heartless, cold man.

I could see that he didn't approve of me working there. I wasn't sure if i was because of my age,or my gender, or both. But, I knew he did not approve.

I will not quit. I just won't. He can scowl, give me busy work, yell at me, or ignore me all he wants.

But I will not quit.

-
-
As I arrived back home, I was greeted by Avery yelling some nonsense about a ball.

She told me that in three days there would be a ball that we could attend in which we basically find the love of our lives.

"So, will you come with me?" she asked.

"Not a chance in hell."

"Please, come on."

I looked at those puppy dog eyes she was giving me, but I stood my ground.

"Avery, I'm not that type of person who just wants to go to balls and be swept off my feet."

"When was the last time you did anything for yourself? You work. You do school. You come home and clean or read or I don't even know what. Don't you want to dress up for one night, and possibly meet someone? I mean..don't you want love?" she pleaded.

Her words 'don't you want love' bore a hole in my eardrums.

I sighed.

"Love is not really something that I can deal with now. I'm trying to focus on everything I want to accomplish, and maybe one day a guy would be nice, but for right now..no."

But could one night of fun really screw all of that up?

"Okay."

"What?" she squealed.

"I said okay."

What am I getting myself into?

-
-

hello guys!! i'm totally excited for the chapters to come, and i'm excited to get you guys' feedback!