2: Underground

I do not own Naruto, Kishimoto does

Chapter Summary: It's Itachi's first mission since quitting ANBU and he has to uncover an underground organization in Konoha that is selling information on shinobi. He soon finds out that it is much more complicated than that...

...

"Ah, Itachi, my boy, you're back. I assume that this is your first mission since you quit ANBU," the Hokage said. Itachi nodded, a smile on his face. "Are you sure that you're alright?"

"I'm as sure that I'm alright as I'm sure that the sky is green."

The Hokage's right eye twitched.

"Yes, well, let's move on...

"Itachi Uchiha, I assign to you this B, maybe A, ranked mission. I have intel that there is an underground organization in Konoha that is selling information on shinobi." Itachi's eyes widened. That was extremely dangerous. "It's your job to find out what this organization's goal is. Dismissed."

"Yes Lord Hokage!" Itachi took the folder that the Hokage had handed to him and left the room.

...

Itachi sat down in the living room, the folder in front of him. It had all the information on his mission. It was so much paper that Itachi felt sleepy just looking at it. He flipped open to the first page, then raised his eyebrows. Printed on it, in a large font, was "UNDERGROUND ORGANIZATION IN KONOHA IS SELLING INFORMATION ON SHINOBI."

Itachi turned to the next page and face-faulted. At the top, in tiny letters, was, "Sorry, but that's all we've got. You can keep the papers, though!" Incredulously, Itachi flipped to the other twenty to thirty pages.

Every. Single. One. Was. BLANK.

Anyone within the house could hear his rather...colorful thoughts.

...

Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Third Hokage, who was watching the whole thing via his crystal ball, laughed sheepishly.

"Sorry about that, Itachi my boy."

He could hear the ANBU snickering in the shadows.

...

"Uggggghhhh..." Itachi groaned. He had just repeatedly banged his head on the table.

"What's wrong, Big Brother?" Itachi lifted his head up slightly to see his brother standing in front of his desk...eating a tomato.

Itachi, being as frustrated as he was, yelled, "WHERE DO YOU GET ALL THOSE STUPID TOMATOES?" Sasuke waited for Itachi to quiet down.

"I know a person..."

Itachi sighed, shaking his head.

"Sorry Sasuke. I'm just mad at Lord Hokage. He basically gave me NOTHING to work off of!" Sasuke grabbed the top paper, the one with the only information they had, and raised an eyebrow.

"Huh. Well, Itachi, I never thought this day would come, but it's time."

"Time for what?"

"Time for me to tell you a secret."

"...I don't think I want to know."

"Too late. You're already in too deep. Come with me."

"Huh?"

...

"Sasuke...why are we at the Academy?"

"Where we need to go is close to here," Sasuke said with a smirk on his face.