Chapter 1: Magnets

The sky was the colour of indigo and it contrasted beautifully with the soft light of the full moon. Liv and her friends headed back to their van in a parking lot. Everyone took a few polaroid photos together. After they were done, they gathered and took turn to look at them fondly. Liv joined them eagerly. She thought the lighting made her skin seem a shade darker which fortunately complimented her long dark hair and brown eyes. Her friends made kind comments about one another except about the only blonde girl in the photos.

It was Becca, the blonde bombshell who had never shown interests in spending time with the people she spent half of her day with that day. They all had a great time together. But was she a part of the group now? Of course not. There was no indication she wanted to be one of them either. Becca was the only person who wasn't smiling in the photos. No one wanted to say anything about it.

Liv turned around to look at Becca. Under the right light, her long golden hair almost seemed to glow. Liv forgot and allowed herself to stare at her for several seconds longer than she was supposed to.

Becca stood rigidly, her arms folded and her face frowned. It was plain as day that she didn't belong where she was. Liv suspected that Becca was aware of it too. She could feel Becca's irritation radiating from her and it grew more and more visibly every minute.

Most parts inside the van were occupied by things that weren't meant to be there; a pair of dirty, mismatched socks lying next to a big bag of half eaten snack and a bunch of chocolate bar wraps which were all on top of a very old, oversized shirt. There was a plastic trash bag far in the back and it was stuffed with unsightly things which included strands of long dark hair and a few short hair. Or leg hair, Liv was not sure. But one thing was certain. As attractive as Becca was, she now seemed no more than a queen bee trapped in a rat's nest and had no clue how to hack her way back to the hive.

She looks out of place, Liv observed silently. But no one can blame her for that. Liv was convinced that Becca had never imagined that she would somehow be merely inches away from her ex, her secret fling and her secret fling's ex at the same place and at the same time especially when there was not much space left for her to retreat to.

Liv let her brown eyes wander around inside the vehicle. None of her friends made an attempt to converse with the blonde bombshell. Liv did not blame them for that either. They had not known Becca the way she did. They had not seen the sweeter side of her the way she did. But hopefully they will. The sooner, the better, Liv thought. The young brunette believed that Becca's true self was hidden behind that cold facade and California eyes.

Liv wanted to reach out her hand and touch hers but she couldn't. Instead, she lifted her forefinger in front of Becca's flawless face to remove an eyelash that got stuck on her cheek. Their eyes met and Liv could have sworn Becca's face turned pale pink.

"Stop touching my face," she hissed before giving Liv an annoying look.

"You got something on your cheek. I was just trying to get it out," Liv said truthfully. Whether Becca believed her or not, she did not say.

Their brief exchange of words somehow drew attention from her friends. They lifted their gaze from the polaroid photos to look at her and the blonde girl. The look on their faces were a mix of small surprise and confusion which heavily hinted that they just remembered that Becca was there with them too.

"So," James began after he turned to the blonde girl. "Are you gonna go somewhere or are you gonna stay in here with us?"

It was a simple question and everyone including Liv was expecting a simple answer.

Becca drew a short breath through her mouth and squinted her eyes at James. "Did you actually sleep in here?" She scoffed.

"It's not as bad as it looks though," Zack said calmly but there was a look of annoyance written on his face. The van was old and outdated but it belonged to his uncle and moreover, it was the reason this trip was possible in the first place.