Chapter 3.5: I Drive Alone (Becca's flashback)

The spring sun was blocked by cold, grey clouds and the gloomy sky only seemed to reflect Becca's emotions. That was when Becca learned that there was nothing to do or undo to prevent her parents from divorcing. She did whatever she could to numb the pain that paved its way to her heart. Going shopping was always a good distraction to her. But even that seemed uninteresting in this situation.

When night came, she wanted to find someone who was less of a talker and more of a doer. Her plan was simple. No feelings. Just physical. She brought herself to a bar but there was no one in her sight that night, only a bunch of old women and men drinking and chatting at the table in a far corner in the back. This meant at the end of the night she would have to spend her time all alone in her queen size bed, hating to be haunted by her own family drama.

Bored and without plan B, she bought herself a drink, switched to water and depended on the internet to be distracted from the unfortunate event in her own life. Random things and funny dog videos could only keep you occupied for so long. Soon, she ran out of things worthy of her attention and she went to check on Liv's social media account. Again.

Becca was careful not to accidentally leave a like on any of the girl's photos otherwise it would make her look like a fool who was having a crush on the brown eyed beauty even though they were each other's most infamous rival. 

She's probably having fun with her herd of nerds somewhere right now, thought Becca and so it seemed unreal to her when the brunette girl suddenly appeared at the same bar. Becca had to rub her eyes to make sure they didn't deceive her. That moment, Liv looked like anything but herself. She was worn out and weary, her eyes and nose red like she had been crying. Whatever it was that made Becca decide to approach her, she was not sure. But it did feel good to get to share a sad, secret part of her life with someone even if that someone was Liv. I guess there's a first time for everything, Becca thought.

Right after that, the blonde brat offered to give Liv a ride back to campus. As weird as it was, Becca didn't mind having her enemy in her passenger seat. It's still better than being alone, She thought. During their way back to campus, Liv let it all out; her tears and her anger.

Becca was glad that Liv was willing to share her story with her too though she hated that it had to happen in her car. It was also one of a very few places Becca could let herself cry too as she loathed letting people see her tears. As a result, she learnt to master a cold mask on her face that would prevent people from reading her emotions. Becca knew very well that her image was perceived as a strong and confident young woman. She intended to keep up her reputation so she disdained having people pity her for any reason.

Becca pressed a piece of tissue in Liv's hand and told her to speak slowly because her wailing only made most of the words hard to understand.

"We just had our biggest fight," Liv said slowly, sniffing. "We didn't even fight on the day we broke up."

"You broke up with Kailyn?!?" Becca asked with a sheer look of puzzle on her face. Normally, she wouldn't have missed something like this but she had been too wrapped up in her own problems recently.

Then the girl cursed and complained and Becca didn't interrupt her. Because sometimes the only thing that will keep you sane is to let your anger out. Becca thought it was similar to listening to angry music and singing along at the top of her lungs. When all of the details at the concert had been told, Liv finally stopped crying. 

"Suddenly it's like she doesn't want me to be her friend anymore even after all I ..." Liv trailed off, her voice was so thin, it sounded nothing like her.

This is why I don't date a friend. If you break up, the two of you will never be the same again. "So why are you still friends with her?" Becca had to ask.