Emotional wreck

"Excuse me for interrupting but what's all this about?" I said confused on what they were talking about this thing that happened that 'wasn't their fault'.

Both Benjamin and Josephine shared a sidewise glace at each other then back to me.

“I think we should go sit down" Ben's voice started to drown out and result in a whisper.

We all took a seat on the two couches opposite each other Josephine and Benjamin on one and me on the other.

"Where should we begin?" Josephine said in a tone that sounded tired and heavy with emotions

"The beginning is always a good start" I said in the nicest and sympathetic way possible without sounding snobby or impolite.

"Yes well it all started when the portal was made by the inventor, it’s not his fault of course he was just doing his job I know, but then it was stolen and to cut a long story short the people who stole the portal, kidnapped our daughter and we haven't seen her since and we're trying desperately to find her but we need your help to find these crooks and bring them to justice!" Benjamin said getting more aggravated as he went on, I couldn't help but get scared yet upset and teary eyed whilst Josephine sat there motionless and expressionless, and Benjamin also getting a bit teary as he spoke so carefully about his daughter because it was obvious that these unfortunate events had a massive impact on the couple.

"I'll be more than happy to help as much as I can, but you do realise how tricky it may be to find the inventor...” I hated to be negative I really wanted to reunite this couple with their daughter, I can only imagine how worried and heartbroken my family will be once they realise I'm no longer in their dimension.

"We will try our best" Josephine finally spoke, her voice was raspy and only just above a whisper but even though it was only a couple of words, they were engaging and motivating because she spoke with heartache, determination and persistence. She reminded me of my own mother even though she didn't have an Irish accent  and Benjamin of my father because of his warm and comforting smile it reminded me how much I really miss them already and it dawned on me how petrified their daughter must be and how much she must miss her parents... These thoughts reduced me to tears.