Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Rythian woke up to a very interesting smell. He blinked his eyes a few times, and propped himself up on his arm, sniffing the air curiously. Smelled like… eggs, and bacon? He threw the covers off of him, and got up, running his hands through his hair. Yawning, he put on his usual outfit, and started down the stairs. What he found was a sight indeed.

Zoey had been in his small kitchen, making breakfast. Pancake batter was smeared on her forehead, and she hummed as she scrambled eggs in a pan. Bacon was laying on a plate nearby, along with pancakes. Noticing Rythian, she smiled, and gestured for him to sit down. His eyes wide, he sat down at the bench he had fixed Zoey’s leg the night before. She dumped some of the eggs on the plate, and handed it to him, with a knife and fork. The eggs were cooked to perfection, and the pancakes as well. The bacon, however, had fallen apart into tiny shards the moment he touched it.

“Sorry,” she told him apologetically. “I don’t normally cook meat, since I don’t ever eat it.”

Rythian’s eyebrow rose. “Don’t eat meat?” he asked. “How can you not eat meat? Meat is yummy!” he said, tossing a piece of the overcooked bacon in his mouth.

“Well, anyways,” she continued. “I just wanted to say thanks for helping me.” She rubbed her leg gingerly.

He gestured to it with his fork, setting the plate aside. “How is the leg anyways?”

“Good, “ she said thoughtfully. “A lot better now you’ve fixed it.”

“That’s good. Now we can get you home.”

“Oh,” she replied, a little crestfallen. “Ok, we should go then.”

Rythian pulled out a small ring from his pocket, and handed it to her. “Here,” he said, seeing the awe in her eyes. “You can use this. I’ll teach you how to use it really quickly.”

Zoey’s eyes lit up. “You will? Really? That’s so cool!” She was extremely excited to learn more about Rythian’s magicky stuff. Maybe she could even do magic on her own.

“Well, first you have to put the ring on,” he said matter-of-factly. He held her hand up as he slipped the ring on her finger. She snickered. “What?” he asked.

“It just…” she snickered some more. “Are you asking to marry me Rythian?”

Rythian rolled his eyes, but his face was red. “No, I’m not. I’m teaching you how to be useful.” He proceeded to lead her outside, and turned to look at her. “Ready?”

Zoey nodded unsurely. “Yeah, I guess so.”

He took her hand, and lifted her up off the ground, using his ring. Zoey stumbled nervously, and was unsteady as he took her a few feet from the grass. “It’s alright,” he told her soothingly. “I’ve got you. Bend your will to lift yourself off the ground.”

Zoey tried, and was unsuccessful. “I-I can’t…”

“Yes you can. Come on, Zoey. You can do this.” He pulled her a little closer to him, holding her steady. “Try again.”

Zoey tried once more, and was able to support herself. The ring had allowed her to move away from Rythian, and she twirled. Her cloak billowing around her, she laughed.

“You may want to land now,” he told her. She nodded, and her feet touched the soft grass once more. Rythian landed along with her, and she ran up, wrapping her arms around his neck. “I did it! I did it, all on my own. I can do magic!”

Rythian looked a bit taken aback by her embrace, but put an arm around her nevertheless. He was affected by her joy, and soon smiled himself. “Now let’s get you home.”

He soon flew up high in the air, and Zoey followed suit. They had talked on the way back to her home, chatting about this and that. Rythian noted her interest in magic and smiled internally. She could be a good pupil to teach later on. In a few minutes, the two of them arrived at her home, with her many mushrooms. Rythian was a bit confused. “Why all the mushrooms?”

“I like growing them, and they deserve to.” she told him proudly. “That one’s George, that’s Fred, and then there’s Phil, John, Daniel, and Katie.” she pointed to each one of the mushrooms as she said their name.

Rythian chuckled. “Ok, that’s cool.” he said with a hint of sarcasm. He shifted awkwardly on his feet. “Well, I should be going now. Thanks for breakfast.” Before he could leave, Zoey leaned in and planted a small kiss on his cheek.

“Thank you Rythian. For everything.” She ran inside her house, allowing him to fly away. While flying, he brushed his hand across his cheek. Yes, he thought, she would be a good apprentice.

Little did either of them know, Duncan was watching the scene from his window, a scowl on his face.