| chapter four |

"Sage... Sage, wake up." A hand is on my shoulder, gently shaking me, and a deep voice is talking to me.
My eyes flutter open to see Castiel standing in front of me. He looks down at me and smiles a little. I look back at him.
"How do you feel?" He takes his hand off of my shoulder, but still stays the same amount away from me, his smile dropped.
"I feel.." I think for a second, and realize that I feel, "great." I crack my neck and sit up, looking around the room.

"Where's Sam and Dean?" I ask. Cas looks around the room and shrugs.
"They went to talk to your father. He's taking your brother." I toss the blanket off of my legs and sit stand up, causing Cas to back away from me.
"Where are you going?" He asks as I walk toward the door.
"I'm going to.." I think about it for a second, then realize I don't really know where I'm going, so I walk back to the bed and sit down on the edge of it.
"I'm.. sorry, Sage." Cas looks at me and sits next to me on the bed. "I'm truly sorry about what happened last night." I shake my head and tears start to fill up my eyes and memories from last night come flooding back.
Arguing with my mom, the feeling of falling into the water, and trying so hard to swim up to the surface while holding my brother.
I take a deep breath and blink back the tears that are threatening to fall.
"It's.. all my fault." I say and look at Cas, who just stares at me with a blank expression, listening to me.
"It is?" He says, his voice slightly cracking. I just nod. "How?"
"She was arguing with me before she drove off the bridge." I bite my lip and the door opens. The doctor walks in, looking at Cas and I. The man sitting next to me tenses up and looks at him.
"Castiel?" He looks over his shoulder, then back at Cas and I. The tall man steps inside the room and closes the door behind him.
"Gabriel? Castiel says, standing up. "W-what are you doing here?" The doctor shrugs.
"Wanted something fun to do. Have you seen the nurses here?" He chuckles and looks at me. "Well, well, well, Cas, who's this?" I try to look at the man, but Cas moves in front of me, as if protecting me, and stands up so he's seemingly taller.

"No one of your concern." Castiel's scratchy voice cracks a little and he steps toward Gabriel.
"Where's Dean and Sam?" He asks.

"Out in the lobby." Gabriel nods over his shoulder, then looks at the clipboard he was holding in his hand. "Oh, and she can check out now. Just with a guardian's permission." He says with a wink directed toward me.
"Sage, come on." Castiel mutters over his shoulder and reaches to grab my wrist. I reach out and he grabs my wrist, causing a surge of energy to run through my arm, but his hand is so soft and warm, and pulls me toward the door. Once we get to the door, he opens it and stands between Gabriel and I when I walk out of it.

"Who's that?" I look at Cas, who puts a hand on my back, leading me toward the lobby. He shakes his head.
"No one. Absolutely no one." He shrugs. I look down at my feet and follow him.

Dean and Sam stand in the lobby, Dean leans on the counter of the receptionist and hits on her, and Sam stands back, rolling his eyes.

"Dean." Castiel nudges the flirtatious man with his elbow. Dean looks at Cas and his shoulders drop as he stands up straight, clearing his throat.

"Okay, well, I'm checking this girl out." Dean points at me with his thumb. "Sage.."

"Alexander." I blush at my stupid last name.

"Sage Alexander." Dean nods. I look at Castiel, who has a broad smile on his face.

"What?" I chuckle, looking down at my lap, then looking back up to see Castiel's eyes connect with mine.

"That's a pretty name." He smiles at me.
"T-thank you." I smile while my eyes move to look at Sam, who's eyes dart to the ground and his cheeks turn red.