| chapter one |

It's all going to be new. New house, new neighbors, everything. All because my dad couldn't keep it in his pants.
Thanks, dad.
At the moment, my mom, my brother Lucas, who is two, and I are driving from Maine, USA all the way across country to Washington, at 11 at night, and the house we're moving to is right on the boarder of USA and Canada.
"So, here I am. Driving across country with you and we haven't really said anything to each other." My mom looks at me. "Sage, what's bothering you?" My brother makes noises in the back seat, playing with two plastic dinosaurs.
"It just.." I try to find words. "I told you a few months ago that I thought dad was cheating on you. And you didn't listen. And now look where we're at, he's boning my best friend's mom. Maybe he'll get her pregnant-"
"Sage Elizabeth. Stop." My mom snaps at me, gripping the wheel a little tighter.
"What? It's true." I snort. I hate my mom. And my dad. My 18th birthday is only a few days away but until then I was forced to come with her. Most likely, as soon as we get to our house, I'm making plans to get out of there as soon as possible.
"How did your friend feel about it?" She says after a few minutes in a soft voice, her knuckles no longer white.
"She was mad at him and her mom." I shrug, picking at a loose string on my jeans.
"What about you? Was she mad at you?" My mom pushes, looking down at the speedometer.
"Why the hell would she be mad at me?" I look at her.
"Language, Sage.. And I don't know, maybe she thought you had something to do with it." She looks down at her lap for a second, then presses her foot ever so slowly down onto the gas pedal. 80 miles an hour.
"Are you saying I had something to do with dad boning her?" I furrow my eyebrows together and look at her as her foot presses down more. 81, 84, 86 miles an hour. My hand finds its way to the handle on the door.

"In a way." She mumbles and her face turns red as she goes even faster. 88.
"Mom, slow down, you're going to kill us." I say softly at first, trying to not cause a scene, but my brother starts to cry. He's slept most of the car-ride, since we started early in the morning.
"I won't kill us, I'm trying to get there faster." She lies and presses on. 91.
"Mom, stop!" I yell, the realization that she might be trying to kill us setting in, "please! I'm sorry!" I scream at her. 93.
"Come on, Sage!" She yells over the sound of the engine and tires screeching against the pavement. "You always love a rush!" She laughs manically and then I realize my mother has officially lost it.
"Please! I'm sorry!" I yell as we descend onto a bridge overlooking a river.
Oh no.
She continues laughing as she swerves the car to the right and loses control. The car hits the small railing and we fly down into the water. I start crying right as we hit the water. I unbuckle my seat belt as the car floats to the shallow bottom and instantly turn around and unbuckle my sobbing brother. The buckle sticks for a moment.
"Oh come on, damn it!" I yell in frustration. My mom stays in her seat, watching the water close in around us. My brother cries harder and harder.
"Shh, it's okay, it's okay." I whisper into his ear as I grab him and turn back to my door. "Lucas, I want you to take a deep breath when I say, okay?" I look over his shoulder at my mom and he nods, holding his hand up to his mouth, picking his lip. I put one hand on the door and the other clutching onto his shirt.
"Okay, baby now!" I gasp when he does and open the door.
Frantically, I kick my feet and push with my one arm that is free. I get closer to the surface quickly. I push and push until Lucas and my head is above the surface. We both start taking deep breaths as soon as our heads emerge.

"Good job, buddy. Good job." He coughs and wipes his face, whimpering. I sob and look around the river for my mom as I swim toward the shore, which was about 10 feet away.
"Sissy." Lucas sobs into my shoulder. The sound of him crying breaks my heart. This is all my fault. All of this.
Once Lucas and I are on the shore, I begin to make a path into the woods. They're dark and I hear sounds almost every two seconds that make Lucas jump.
"Who are you?" A deep voice asks. I jump and turn around. A man stands in front of us. Tall, with short hair that I couldn't see the color of. Two other men stand behind him.