Who is She?

I sat down at the cafeteria table, waiting for my best friend Erick to meet me for lunch. He had been acting a little weird today and I was worried to find out what was up. He was my best friend, I cared about him so much and seeing him upset about something made me feel upset as well. 

Erick had moved to my town from Cuba and we clicked right away. Along with an amazing friendship came unwanted romantic feelings from my end. Erick was so perfect; how could anyone not catch feelings for him? It was so hard, him being my closest friend yet I had a massive crush on him. 

My train of thought was interrupted by Erick sitting down directly across from me. "Hola Sami. ¿Estás teniendo un buen día?"

I nodded. "¿Y tú?" 

Erick shrugged. "Can't complain.'

As we made small talk, I knew something was up. Erick wasn't as into the conversation as he usually was. He wasn't as animated, as happy as he usually was. 

I was about to ask him what was wrong when he spoke.

"Sami, tengo que decirte algo." Erick said, looking into my eyes. 

"Yes?" I responded, slightly nervous for what he was going to say. 

"There's this girl I like."

I felt my heart drop into my stomach as Erick said those words, Cuban accent still very heavy. He liked someone? 

I felt like throwing up. 

How could you be so stupid Samantha? He's an attractive guy, he's allowed to like girls! Just because he's friends with you and you like him, doesn't mean he isn't going to look at anyone else!

"Ah," I said weakly to him. I couldn't read his facial expression. "Tell me about her." 

A small smile appeared on his face as he started to speak. "She's so beautiful. She is smart, funny and so talented. I've had my eye on her for a while and tried to get her out of my head but I just can't. She's so perfect."

I felt weaker and weaker and my head started spinning as he spoke on and on about this "perfect girl." He didn't just like her; he clearly loved her. 

"Oh wow Erick," I said, trying to sound happy and light. "It's obvious you really like her."

He bit his lip as he smiled. Before he could say anything, I asked him a question. "¿Quién es esta chica?"

Erick suddenly squirmed in his seat a little bit. "I don't want to tell you just yet Sami, trust me. I'll tell you when the time is right."

I didn't know it was possible but I suddenly felt like I was about to faint. Not only did he like another girl, but he wouldn't even tell me, his best friend who it was?

I nodded, not even trying to hide the hurt that was written across my features. "I see how it is."

I started packing up my things as my underlying anger and sadness came to the surface. "Tell me who it is when you actually trust your best friend." I snapped at him. 

"Wait, no Sami it's not that-"

"Adios Erick," I said feeling tears threatening to spill. "I'll talk to you later."

I heard Erick call my name a few times as I walked out of the room without looking back. 

Time to heal my broken heart. 

. . . 

As soon as I got home from school that day, I sat on my bed and cried. Cried because my crush was in love with someone else. Cried because my best friend didn't trust me. 

I had ignored all the messages that were causing my phone to buzz incessantly. I knew they were all from Erick. I couldn't bear to see him right now. I needed to think everything through, then talk to him. 

Suddenly, I heard a knock on my door. I assumed it was my brother arriving home from school. As I placed my hand on the knob and started to open the door, realization hit me; he always uses the key to enter this house. This wasn't him.

It was Erick, standing there. 

"What do you want Erick?" I said in an annoyed tone. 

"Sami," he pleaded. "Quiero hablar contigo. You ran off today. I don't know what's the matter."

"Nothing's wrong," I said, voice shaking slightly. His green eyes stared into mine, making me feel those butterflies I was so accustomed to when I was around him. 

"Yes there is something wrong! I can clearly tell you're upset by something Samantha, what is wrong?" Erick exclaimed. 

His use of my full name brought tears to my eyes and without control they started to roll down my face. Erick's look of confusion turned into concern. 

"Why are you crying? Please, tell me what's wrong." Erick pleaded, pulling me into a hug. 

"You can't tell me these things Erick," I cried. "It hurts too much."

"What are you talking about?"

"I've liked you since we met, and now you're telling me you're into someone else. It just hurts. I'll get over it soon, I promise but if we can't be friends anymore I understand." I said as calmly as possible, wiping my eyes. 

Erick slowly let go of me, a look of total confusion upon his face. 

"You like m-me?" He stuttered. 

I nodded my head in shame, looking down at the ground. 

All of a sudden, I felt Erick's fingers lift my chin up so that I was staring directly into his piercing green eyes. 

"You like me." He repeated, more confidently this time. 

"Sí Erick, I said it once." I replied. "Don't make me repeat it."

A wide smile spread across Erick's face. 

"You know the girl I like?" He asked. "I was talking about you."

My mind went blank. 

"What?"

"I like you Sami, I was talking about you," he explained. "I didn't know how else to tell you."

"So you're saying that you like me?" I said, trying to process the information I had just received. 

"Sí hermosa." He replied. 

We stood there staring at each other in silence for a few moments, with my front door still wide open. Erick took me in his arms once more. 

"Erick..." I mumbled as I felt his face getting closer to mine. 

"Shh mamí," he whispered as he placed his lips sweetly on to mine. My heart and chest exploded into a ton of different emotions. 

When the kiss was over, he placed his forehead onto mine and smiled. 

"This is only the beginning Sami," he said softly. "Te quiero mucho."