t h e c h a n c e

Sofie gave her ticket to the driver and received a smile back. She walked to the back part of the bus, searching for two empty seats. She preferred to be alone, unbothered; the trip was long and she didn't want some old lady talking about her depressive life with two ex-husbands, thirty grandchildren and an awful backache the whole way. She found the perfect spot: window seat, not all the way to the end of the bus but close enough to the middle, and nobody seated beside.

Despite her hurry of having to be on time to attend the celebration, she couldn't stop thinking about Aiden. How casually and unexpectedly he appeared before her with a picture he took of her. How he made her blush with his sweet words. And the way he smiled sheepishly, and how his eyes crinkled...

A rumbling messy noise took her out of her mind, and she looked to where the commotion was happening. Just people trying to pass by the hall between the seats. She ignored and took out her earphones, placing them on her ears and playing her favorite playlist on shuffle.

A shadow caught her attention, and she looked up to her side. Her eyes opened like plates when she saw the freckled golden face of the photographer, holding in his hands a one way ticket. Her heart might hace skipped a beat there.

"I didn't ask for your phone number."

He was panting, swearing to himself and hoping she wouldn't get scared off. She was just as lost as she had been almost and hour ago when he showed up behind her. He tried to slow his breathing and half smiled.

"Hope I've earned it. If I haven't I..." He looked at his phone to check the time. "I still have 3 hours and a half to do so." And he smiled wide.

It was a crazy idea. A crazy idea indeed. He didn't even know this girl. But he did knew that, if he didn't take this chance, he would never get to.