Chapter 9 (PART ONE)

I hadn't realized how long it had been since I had eaten Chinese food. Much too long, if you ask me. I loved Chinese food, and I hadn't had any in training. It was too salty and fattening, we had a strict diet. So, of course, I was against it.

" Come on Julie, you just fought to the death," Jenny was trying to persuade me. Mostly because she had already ordered.

" That hasn't exactly been an abnormal thing for the past year," I protested. I heard a sigh. Lucas. I really didn't want to be a self righteous bitch, but still I turned around and smiled back. I loved it. It wasn't just fighting though, it was the freedom. What the compass symbolized on my back, it was always there to remind me.

" What's wrong with orange chicken?" Jenny asked as the doorbell rang.

" I like sweet and sour better," I yelled down the hall as she went to get the door. It wasn't really necessary, considering werewolf "super powers". It was more for dramatic effect.

" I got that too," She called back, using the same over-dramatic technique I used. She came back with three full brown bags, even though there was only four of us and I didn't order anything. Werewolves eat like monsters.

" This is a business meeting, remember?" I asked frustrated at not knowing if I would be able to fight my cravings.

" A very important one," Jenny agreed, then looked at Jonathan.

" Remember the silver claw that was tracked by a rogue?" Jonathan asked me.

" It's not the kind of thing I would forget," I answered, purposefully not looking at the brown bags. Training had given me a lot of restraint, even against werewolf hunger.

Jonathan didn't look amused, " It wasn't a rogue."

I tried to act surprised, I was being debriefed. I simply waited for him to continue.

" It was a member of another pack. A pack that has access to very powerful magic," Jonathan explained, " They have been killing our members."

My eyes widened. This was one of the most powerful packs on Earth. I still didn't say anything though, I simply waited.

" They have twelve members," Jenny chimed in, " Which usually would be nothing compared to ours, but magic is very dangerous. That's why I need you Julie, I need you to kill someone for me."

That was something I knew, I simply nodded.

" Us three will be defending our borders. There is rumor of an attack, but if you kill this one being, the fight will be nothing." Jenny looked at me pointedly. Got it, kill quickly, no mistakes.

" The information is with your personal items," Jonathan explained and I raised my eyebrows, " In your room."

I turned and headed up the stairs to my room- Lucas and my room- to find out who would die tonight.

-------------------

I didn't hear him, but I knew he was following me. As soon as we both entered my room, I turned around. Lucas was right there. I used to only reach his chest, but becoming a werewolf had given me more height, more muscle and now I stood a little higher than his chin.

" Yes?" I asked.

" That's it? Your just going to go to kill someone?" He asked. I didn't know why he had the worried tone in his voice, he had been fine with the whole ordeal before.

" It's what I do," I answered just as forcefully as he asked, I turned around not wanting to face him.

" Why?" He asked my back.

" I'm trained," It was almost an automatic answer.

" Why?" He asked again.

Why? Freedom. I wanted to be myself, was killing, myself? How sad is that? Then I remembered why I had left.

" Why?" I asked back turning back around quickly.

" What?" He looked surprised. It wasn't the answer he was expecting.

I looked him and my jaw clenched. I practically jumped into his mind.

---------------------------------------

*LUCAS FLASHBACK*

Madness seeped into me. Destroy them. Destroy them all. I needed to be fed. I need to feed. The men in front of me were mere humans. Testing wolves as if they could. He was dead as soon as I saw him. Death. That was what I craved. Everyone had to die. They all had to pay, the ultimate price. Kill them all. No one lives.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

----------------------------------------

He pushed me out of his mind as soon as I entered and pushed himself into my brain.

---------------------------------------

*JULIE'S FLASHBACK*

I couldn't resist. He was almost dead, my wolf craved his death. It was insanity, but there was no reason to let him live. He served no purpose. I stabbed him with my finger-claw. My half form was useful like that, even if it hurt. Pain was an acceptable price to pay.

I turned and examined the room. This was supposed to be a quick hit. One death that no one would miss. Instead I saw bodies lying everywhere. Bloody and mauled by some animal.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

-----------------------------------

I pushed him out of my head as quickly as possible, feeling breached and shy. It was like I was naked in a room of strangers. Each of us had lived in five seconds of each others madness and we looked at each other for a second.

" We are so screwed up," I commented. That about summed it up.

-----------------

short i know. part two will be soonnn. hopefully.