xiv.

jin drove his cart off the edge of the course.

"haha! hyung fell off again!" taehyung said, laughing after tae had fallen off the edge of rainbow road for the twentieth time.

jin smiled, but something troubled him. he hadn't made a mistake. he'd driven himself off on purpose. not just once, but five times. and yet...he was still in first place. he was always in first place. he would always be in first place.

it was like the game didn't want to let him lose. couldn't let him lose.

like it thought that if he kept winning, he'd be happy and keep playing, forever.

like it didn't want him to leave.

jin sighed and finished the race. he didn't even check to see his position because he already knew what it would be.

congratulations! first place!

jin set down the remote.

"hyung? are you bored?" taehyung asked, setting down his remote as well. "i thought mariokart was your favorite."

jin nodded apprehensively, avoiding eye contact with tae because he didn't want to upset his dongsaeng. "i think i'm just not in the mood to play it anymore."

tae smiled. "that's okay, we can play something else. what do you want to play, hyung?"

"not sure...give me a minute to think."

"Hyung, you're really special to us."

jin blinked. "what?"

tae blinked back at him. "i didn't say anything though?"

jin stared at the carpet. did i just imagine hearing taehyung's voice? that's weird...

"We really wish you'd come back."

jin frowned.

"We're all waiting here for you."

jin looked over at tae, confused. it's tae's voice but he isn't saying anything?

"We miss our hyung."

"jin? is something wrong?" taehyung asked, tilting his head.

"Wake up, Jin. Please. Wake up."

jin shook his head slowly. "...no. everything's fine."

tae smiled. "everything is perfect. right, jin?"

jin blinked and nodded. "yeah, it's perfect."

tae smiled. jin smiled back.

but he was confused. if tae hadn't said those things, who had? why did they sound like tae?

and what did they mean, wake up?

short chapter, sorry

getting close to the end probably

as usual, i will post a q&a if this is desired

inline comment here if you want q&a

yes

no

if you're bored while waiting for an update, you should check out our other stories :) especially "single father"