Heart and Soul

Tara hugged Sam, the feel of her body so close to his soothed him more than he had expected. But within seconds he pulled away, his mind swam with the heady excitement of the sexual tension that has always existed with Tara. Why after so long? He wondered... Perhaps her perfume was the same, maybe that was it.

"Sam," Thank you, she smiled and leaned back into him, wrapping her arms around his waist. His body is so familiar to her - the way it moves, the smell of wood smoke of the barbeque grill, even the sound of his heart beating gave her a warm sense of nostalgia.

"Tara," Sam said warningly, "Eric will know." and although he did not want to pull away from her again, he did so anyway.

"Know what?" Tara scoffed, "That I hugged you...so what."

"The Eric I know won't like the scent of me on his-"

"His what?" Tara snapped, cutting him off mid-sentence. "His fangbanger..." She said heatedly, "Eric does not own me, I am not his possession and I can hug whoever I want."

Sam's smile turned into a wide grin"Well okay then," and he opened his arms.

Tara did not hesitate to go into them. He felt her soft skin and the gentle squeeze on his own. He bathed in her warmth and the smell of freshly laundered clothes.

"I was going to say his woman, you're a lady Tara, always have been."

She smiled peering into his inviting blue eyes and he warmly peered back at her deep gaze, they held each other allowing the tension to build. "I'd better get going," she said deeply breathing, "I need to call the detective working the case, I want to insert myself into the investigation, I know I can help."

Sam nodded, and before he could speak an abrupt knock on the door interrupted him. Suddenly the door swung open.

"Sam,"Daphne shrilled in frustration her face reddens and her fist balled. "I'm at my wits end!"

"I've been in here all of 30 minutes, what the hell is going on out there?" Sam winced, bracing himself for the bad news.

"To start, Amy high as a kite, she's dropping shit, and fucking up orders," Daphne looked like she was going to burst into tears."Please do something, she's fucking up my tips!"

"Not again." Sam piped, "I'll take care of it...Tara, I'll check up on you later this week."

"Sure thing," Tara nodded and watched him follow Daphne out the door. She could hear Daphne going on about her intoxicated coworker as they left the area. After a few moments, Tara left the office and returned to the dining area. The restaurant was packed now, it was afternoon and the lunch rush was in full swing. She quickly left the office, passing through the line and out of the bar.

She was halfway to her car when she was suddenly approached by a man, "Hey- Hey...you're the fangbanger witch who's causin all the trouble 'round here.

Tara whipped around to see a gruff, heavyset man, donned in bib overalls, he looked like the farmer type, he stepped closer, invading her personal space.

"Excuse me," Tara said calmly, he was so close, she could smell the alcohol on his sweat-soaked skin, his dusky eyes are bloodshot red, so was his skin, his teeth are yellowed from chewing tobacco. She'd dealt with plenty of folks in her town like him before.

"You heard me." He sneered ruefully. I know you niggers can't help stealing, but how could you be so stupid and steal from a vampire!" He threw his hands in the air as if he was making some kind of a profound point.

Tara only heard one word. The word that elicits hurt, pain and fury. She drew back and punched him as hard as she could. A loud smacking sound could be heard across the parking lot as her fist collided with his face. His head, neck, snapped left, blood flew out of his mouth and he hit the ground with a definite thud. He was out cold. And although Tara's fists throbbed with pain, she smiled wickedly at the damage she had caused.