part three.

Ice cream makes things just a bit better.

     Max spent the day in his room while Gwen watched trash T.V. shows in the living room. Pulling out his phone, he texted Nikki and Neil, letting them know he was fine, and had made it home safely. He left out the fact of him being at David’s, unwilling to admit his parents had completely forgotten about him.

     The memory of what happened on Parent’s Day surfaced, and Max realized he hadn’t told them about that either. Pushing aside the bittersweet memory, Max put the phone aside and wondered how they would react when he finally did tell them. He already had David worrying about him, so he hoped those two didn’t feel like they had to do the same.

~~~~

     The creaking of the front door opening, then the faint chatter of Gwen and David chatting came through Max’s door around 3pm. He slid off his bed with sigh, he left his room to go face the two. Max knew if he didn’t go out, David would have come in. Besides, much as he tried to deny it, he was curious if David had actually gotten the papers.

     “Hey, Max!” the man chirped as the boy came into the living room. “It’s official, I’m your new foster parent!” David’s expression was ecstatic, he was beyond overjoyed that he was now Max’s official parent. He wanted to pick Max up and hug him, but he restrained himself, remembering that the boy didn’t like physical contact.

     “Great.” Max replied in his usual bored tone. But inside he was happy, he wouldn’t have to see his parents ever again. However, his happiness was tainted by the fact of his parents had to have left him behind. Mentally shaking away the painful memories, he gave David a small smile. It wasn’t big, but it was still a smile.

     David beamed, melting a little inside. Max was making an effort, and that made David so happy he felt like he was walking on clouds. “How about pizza to celebrate?” he asked cheerfully, placing the folder with Max’s foster paperwork on the coffee table. “Sure, I guess.” was Max’s reply. “Great!” David replied, beaming. He wanted to ruffle Max’s hair again, but he didn’t want to make him irritated when he was finally showing some happiness.

     About a half hour later, David and Max left for Sleepy Peak Pizza Bros. When they arrived, David ordered a large pizza for the two of them to split, then brought it to the table and set it in front of Max. “So, for school you have to be registered by next week.” David said cheerfully, jumping right into conversation. “We’ll get that done tomorrow. You’ll get to look around the school and figure out your surroundings and such. Most teachers should be getting their classrooms ready by now, so you might get to meet a few.”

     Max had taken a slice of pizza and taken a bite, then raised an eye at David. He swallowed, then spoke. “You seem to know a lot about the school…” A sudden thought struck the boy, and he decided to voice it. “Wait- what do you do? Like for a living? You’ve got something to do after camp, right?” Max figured the man worked at some outdoors store, or something like that.

     “I’m a teacher!” he replied happily. “I teach the little first graders, so I’ll be in the same building as you for this year.” David was overjoyed at the thought, but the dumbstruck look on Max’s face suggested he felt different about that little fact. “You’re going to be in the SAME building as me, all day? Everyday?!” His tone was both shocked and angry, causing David’s grin to slip a little.

     “Yes, I am. But I’ll be quite far from where you are, nearly at the opposite end of the building in fact.” David replied, hoping that would appease the boy. Max let out a very audible groan, further expressing his dislike for this. “Don’t be like that, Max.” David said quickly. “It’ll be great! You won’t have to worry about being picked up late or being left here alone, because when school gets out I can just drive you home.” He said happily, obviously cheered by his plan. “You can even start your homework while I make dinner.” David added.