07

They're not dormmates their freshman year of college, but Mark is just down the hall, so Jaebum doesn't complain.

Jaebum's dormmate is a clumsy but incredibly intelligent boy named Namjoon, who's majoring in engineering and is apparently best friends with Mark's roommate, a sophomore named Seokjin. As a result, Jaebum spends more time in Mark's dorm than in his own because Seokjin and Namjoon are no less than inseparable.

(A few months later, Seokjin and Namjoon start dating, and Jaebum practically moves in with Mark after his third sleepless night.)

That year, Jaebum meets Youngjae, a high school junior who's dual-enrolled at the college on a music scholarship. Youngjae is smart, too, and sweet and cute, and Jaebum and Mark easily fall in love with the younger boy's bright personality and boisterous laugh.

It doesn't take long for them to be as close to Youngjae as they are to Jinyoung and Jackson, despite not having known him nearly as long: soon the three of them are hanging out every few days, Jaebum and Youngjae belting familiar tunes while Mark sits and laughs at them when they mess up.

It's comfortable and familiar – they click – and Mark is the one with the brilliant idea to introduce everyone over frozen yogurt one weekend. He manages to convince Jinyoung and Jaebum, and that's all it takes for all of them to agree to meet up because Jinyoung has Jackson wrapped around his little finger and Youngjae practically worships the ground Jaebum walks on.

They meet on a Saturday in December at what Mark knows is Jaebum's favorite frozen yogurt place. Jinyoung and Jackson are hesitant at first, but they end up loving Youngjae just as much as Mark and Jaebum do, and the cold of winter seems to dissipate when they leave the the eatery.

That year, their group expands to five.