Team Leo

The following Tuesday, the team Loke had assembled had their first meeting about the Grand Magic Games commercial. They all formally introduced themselves, since many had not worked together before, although they knew one another in some way. Then they leaped right into the meeting. Freed was the first to stand up.

"As you all know, when it comes to the promotional campaigns representing Crocus and all of Fiore, the customary thing has been for the kingdom not to shop around with the different agencies, but to use the kingdom's number one largest ad agency: Sabertooth."

"In other words," Loke expanded, "the city of Crocus is trying something new."

Freed continued, "The fact that they are shopping around this time, to be frank, comes down to the economic impact of the Games." He passed around a handout with charts and survey results, and began to explain it. "In recent years, youths' interest in sporting enterprises has been low, and ratings keep plummeting for football, golf, baseball, and hockey. As the data shows, the GMG is no exception."

Lucy was impressed with how easy it was for even someone like her, with no interest in accounting or a mind for money, to understand all of the data gathered by Freed. Young people in Fiore were remarkably less interested in sports than they were twenty years ago. However, hosting the GMG required a massive investment. She understood what Freed meant when he explained that there was no point in companies putting in money on ads if that investment did not pay off in tangible economic results.

"Okay," Gray said, glancing the charts over intensely. "So, the purpose of this commercial is to bring attention, and thus an audience, to watch the Games on TV. The more excitement we build, the more sponsors sign up for commercial slots during the Games."

"Which also means more potential clients for us," Natsu pointed out.

"Right, it's a snowball effect," said Gray as he glanced over Freed's charts. "What we really need to do, though, is target the least-interested audience. It's poignant that this means Millennials, especially since they have the most buying power economically."

"Correct," said Freed. "Our ideal target range should be teens to thirties."

"College students, young families," Lucy said, thinking it through. "That age range reacts better with emotional messages."

"It'll also have to be flashy," Gray pointed out. "We want to make a splash into new waters with this."

Lucy nodded to herself. "What they want is a commercial that attracts new fans, targeting people who do not currently have any interest in the Grand Magic Games, or in sports in general." Already, her mind was sorting through these details.

Freed spoke a little bit longer about the financial side of the project, the budget they had to work with, and predicted expenses. When he finished his presentation, Loke looked to the two members of the Creative Department.

"Lucy, I want you to come up with a draft, the concept of the commercial. Gray, you'll write the lines for the commercial that Lucy comes up with as well as a campaign and series of events to go along with the commercial."

"You got it," Gray said, nodding firmly.

"Okay!" Lucy said, energized to get started. Drafting the commercial concept was the heart of the presentation.

'And he's giving that job to me.'

Natsu looked as fired up as always. "All right, I have a few things to get this started within media circles. Lucy, Gray, you're going to go to the Crocus offices a few times before the presentation."