CHAPTER 7

Since I was moving my practice time this week to Saturday, it seems appropriate that I make sure Madame is happy. I know she isn’t exactly overjoyed with me messing up her schedule and ruining her weekend. So, I stayed a little bit more after classes for practices. As always, it was another perfect session. I find that I keep getting better every time. I just melt into the dance. There was nothing else except me and my routine in that studio. With every flourish of the hand, every leap, every graceful twirl made me feel whole. When I felt like I could practice no longer. I gathered up my things and left for home. I locked up the practice studio. The custodian gave me a spare after the principal allowed me to use the studio after hours. On my way to the main doors, I heard voices from a nearby classroom. Why are they still here, I am usually the last person here, save the janitors. Two people were arguing but I can’t quite hear it clearly. Making my way down the hall as silently as I could, I headed to the direction of the voices and…

“…you, she doesn’t know ANYTHING.” A female voice said.

“Of course, she doesn’t, she hasn’t come of age yet, she is not yet aware of our world, all will be revealed in due course,” answered a deep, scary voice, obviously male. Wait, what am I doing here? Eavesdropping is a baaaaaaad idea. Problem is, I can’t help but listen to the conversation.

“What am I supposed to do when she comes of age and she is really The One?” the female asked.

“What else, you must do everything in your power to dispose of her.”

I stifled a gasp but it was too late…

“Someone’s here” the female noticed. Shit!

I hurried off… but to where? I looked around for a place to hide. Perfect a drinking fountain! If they caught me drinking water, I could just say I just finished practicing and on my way home and…

“You there, who are you?” the voice asked. I looked around, feigning innocence and prayed she falls for it.

“Who me?” replied dumbly.

“Who else, idiot?” she said and I see her clearly as she stepped into what little light there was beside the fountain. It’s Mindy! Her eyes narrowed into tiny slits when she saw me.

“What are you doing here?”

“I should ask you the same thing,” I answered, looking at her with a glare of my own.

“None of your business,” she said and looked me over once. Seeing my practice attire, she must have believed I just finished practicing like I thought she would. Good. She turned and walked away and I heard a snort and a faint “stupid dance freak” as she disappeared in the darkness. Now, it’s confirmed: She’s a bitch.  But what does “dispose of her” mean. You know what, I’d rather not know. Ignorance is bliss, or so I’ve been told. But something feels wrong about her. I better ask Kirsten what she thinks.

***

That Friday was officially the longest day of my life. I couldn’t wait to go on my date. I think I’m not the only one. One time during Latin, I got a note from him. It says: Can’t wait until later.  IN LATIN.

I scribbled a quick, “See you there,” and then passed it back to him. He was writing a reply when Mr. Gordon walked up to us.

“Mr. McAllister, I wouldn’t want to send you to detention for not listening in class on your first week. Though I’ve seen your exemplary records, it’s still not an excuse.”

Gab looked at Mr. Gordon, innocence showing in his eyes but the playful set of his smile tells me otherwise. “Oh, no, Mr. Gordon, I am MOST interested in your class. I was just telling Sophie here how good you teach, unlike the teachers who taught in my previous school,” he snorted, “they simply BORE me to death! But here, dear Mr. Gordon, this is the most fun I’ve had in class.” He said, sarcasm dripping from his words and the other students were snickering, too. I was stifling a giggle myself. But get this, Mr. Gordon missed the sarcasm, he actually fell for it! “Why, Thank You, Mr. McAllister. Y’all should learn to pay interest in class like Mr. McAllister here” he said, directing the last part to the rest of the class. It was all I could do not to laugh. As Mr. Gordon walked up to the board to continue his lecture, I glanced at Gab who winked at me and went back to listening. I am liking him more and more.