La Mala Hora

La Mala Hora is a Mexican urban legend about a wicked spirit or an evil demon that wanders the lonely county roads after midnight and terrorizes those who travel alone. According to legend , it usually lurks in the darkness at a crossroads, waiting for unwary traveler to cross its path. What people say its more feared than the devil.

It appears as a large, black lump, constantly move and changing shape. It can also change size rapidly, growing larger and smaller. They say it looks like a ghostly black shroud or a large cotton ball. Anyone who is unfortunate enough to set eyes on this demon runs the risk of being drive insane. It tries to hypnotize and paralyze anyone who happen to encounter it at night.

When it attacks, it suddenly rushes towards the unwary, envelopes him and suffocates him. The following morning the wretch is found dead on the side of the road. At other times, it transform into a wicked woman, a female personification of evil. She appears wearing black clothing, her hair long and unkempt. She is like a spirit or wind floating along without touching the ground with her feet.

People in New Mexico say that she seldom appears in human form, but when she does it's considered to be a death omen. If you encounter her at a crossroads, it usually mean that you or somebody you know is going to die.