Day 13

The day started with frenetic movement well before the dawn. At 0300, the recruits were harshly awakened by the cacophony of their SEAL handlers running through the corridors of the barracks with their military batons and trash cans. To add an extra level of urgency to the morning, Tarkinson carried a 9mm and fired blanks into the air as he followed in the wake of his colleagues.

"Welcome to the civilian-version of Hell week, crabs, the abridged addition," Tarkinson said. "Over the next 54 hours, you will run the Gauntlet and be put through a series of extreme endurance tests and warrior challenges that will include live fire and ordinance. You'll be returning to the o-course with a few new additions, such as your 40-pound packs. Starting now you will have 54 hours to complete all tests and challenges or face elimination. Any questions?" He waited for a moment. "Get your shit and hit the beach in 5."

There was no breakfast awaiting them, not even MREs. Strapping on their 40-pound rucksacks, the recruits were marched down to the beach for an equipment check. The beach head was just the starting point for a ten-mile hike to the rally point of the Gauntlet, their final test. Of the remaining 24 law enforcement officers, Kogami and Akane were tied with Royce and Rodriguez for first place. Despite the unspoken competition, the representatives from the MWPSB and the LAPD stayed close, helping each other where needed. They did so much to the envy of all others and the silent approving gazes of their handlers.

The endurance phase began with sprints in the sand as well as the ocean. This was followed up by longer distances in mile-long increments. While there were intermittent breaks for hydration, eating and rest periods were left to the discretion of each team and at the cost of valuable time. Each test was timed and falling behind by more than 25 minutes was grounds for immediate disqualification.

Royce and Rodriguez easily caught up to Kogami and Akane, but showed no interest in moving beyond them, even when Akane turned on the pressure to get through the courses. They arrived at the outdoor combat simulation at the same time and were permitted to enter the course, working the labyrinth as a team of four. Akane called the shots for the team with Kogami and Rodriguez taking point, and Royce guarding their flank.

"You have the makings of a decent Enforcer," Kogami remarked. "Not that I would impose that life on anyone."

"You might chafe at the leash, Ko, but sometimes that's all that keeps a man in check," Rodriguez said. "Your curse might be a blessing for others." He moved ahead on the trail to join Akane.

"Don't mind him," Royce said, patting Kogami on the back. "He sees a lot of himself in you, which is a good thing."

"Is it?" Kogami asked.

"Rodriguez, believe it or not, has something of a temper. His discipline jacket is thicker than a dictionary with civilian complaints. Some justified, some not so justified." He shouldered his pack and started down the trail beside Kogami. "Doesn't stop me from thanking the Lord every day that he's my partner. If it weren't for Rodriguez and his temper, there are a few nights when I wouldn't have made it home to my family." He slapped Kogami's shoulder, and together they jogged to catch up with their partners.

Well after night fell, they found themselves 10 hours from the completion of the Gauntlet. Kogami and Akane opted for a perilous rappel over the cliffside, where they agreed to wait for their LAPD colleagues. Having twisted an ankle, Royce was worried about the climb and opted for the trail with Rodriguez going along for support.

"I wonder what's happened to them," Akane said. "If we wait any longer, we'll be in danger of not making the time. Especially with Royce's sprained ankle."

Kogami stood at the bottom of the trail that snaked up the countryside at a steep angle. "I'm a little worried about them making the trail in the dark." He stared into the darkness, hands on his hips.