prolouge

"hey, mom?" dan said, walking into the garage where his mom was hunched over the washing machine. "you okay? i heard a crash."

"hmm?" mrs. howell turned towards her son with a surprised look on her face. "oh, nothing. i'm fine. i just think this thing finally gave up on us."

"well," dan said, leaning against the machine, "we can just order another one. we have some money saved up in the account--"

"oh honey, no." she said, placing her hand on his shoulder. "that was to help buy you and your brother that new video...game....thingamajig that you two haven't shut up about for the past week."

"mom, please." he said. "we can wait. it's fine."

"well," she sighed, "i really needed this pantsuit clean for my presentation tomorrow. they could promote me and it would double my salary--"

"here. give it to me. i'll just take it to the laundromat." she handed him the laundry bag and kissed him on the cheek. "my purse is on the counter. take all the loose change."

"thanks mom." he ran inside and got the change, and then grabbed his car keys from the counter. "hey, owen." he patted his little brother on the head as he walked by.

"bite me." owen muttered. dan rolled his eyes and threw the front door open, and climbed into his car.

little did he know that one trip to the laundromat on a cloudy saturday afternoon would change his life forever.