Chapter Eighteen: Forgiveness

♪Kent♪

I walk down to the kitchen, rubbing my hands down my tired face. Sleeping without Colette last night was torture. I'm so used to having someone beside me I didn't realize how different it would be if she wasn't there. I look around the kitchen and notice it's clean, I peer into the living room and it's clean too.

I forgot I have a staff.

Weird, Colette usually makes our meals and cleans up I forgot we had a staff that did it for us.

I groan and pour a cup of coffee, sipping it greedily. Suddenly I hear my phone going off, I don't know where it is though. I search around the kitchen, looking anywhere for it. I finally find it behind the mixer, a shattered and chipped screen.

Well, that doesn't look safe.

I try to read to caller ID, but it's just not happening. I search for my backup phone and take my sim card and battery out of my old one and into the new one. Oddly, the backup is a model year newer, I don't know why I don't just use that one. The phone finally turns on and I notice I have two missed calls.

One missed call; Andrew

One missed call; One voicemail; Colette

Colette called? I hit her name and listened for her voice.

"Kent? I got your letter. When I get home, I'm gonna murder you for writing in my diary. But I also want you to know that I'm sorry too. I'll be home soon so we can talk." she stops and I thought it was the end. "I love you."

I smile at the end of the message. I'm happy she's coming home and wants to talk. I'm losing my mind that she told me she loves me.

Without a second thought, I send her a text.

Morning beautiful, sorry I didn't call you back. I chucked my phone at the wall and it shattered the screen. I'm glad you called though, I'll see you.

                                                                                                                             ~K

A bit later, I receive one back.

I'm happy you got my voicemail. I'm going to spend the day with Juliette, I still need time, but I should be home tonight. When I get home we have to talk.
                                                                                                                               ~C

It breaks my heart she won't come back until tonight. But she needs her time and I get it. It doesn't mean I'm happy about it. I rub the back of my neck and head back upstairs to take a long shower.