1 | first kiss

“Delia?”

“Yeah?”

Bradley’s hands are shaking and he hopes she can’t see. It’s nervous shaking and happy shaking and the kind of shaking you get during very important moments, all at once. “I love you.”

Delia turns her head slightly, first confused and bewildered and then suddenly and spontaneously, like the words are finally registering, she starts smiling. It’s not the polite smile she has plastered on her face when they’re usually working side-by-side at the town’s shittiest diner. It’s the kind of smile that can’t be contained in curved lips and bright eyes. It makes her glow.

“Really? ‘Cause I love you back.”

Bradley’s shaking and Delia’s smiling and they’re both full of that ecstatic energy people tend to associate with first love.

Bradley places a nervous hand on her cheek, his fingers barely lingering on her freckled skin. She’s delicate and he’s afraid that one wrong move will make her shatter underneath his touch.

But Delia reached out to snake her arms around his waist, pulling him closer in an awkward embrace. Their lips barely touch before the door chime signals a new customer. They break apart, blushing, the tantalizing idea of each other’s presence enough to get them through the shift.