4 | kiss hello

Beth has gotten uncomfortably comfortable with her own naked body. She was never the kind to flaunt it, but something about the way Damien looks at her makes it feel slightly better than adequate.

That doesn’t seem to stop her from pinching that extra inch of fat when he’s still asleep, in the five minutes before his alarm goes off, when his arm has fallen from her shoulder and the only one left touching her is herself.

She gathers her skin in her fist. Beth touches her skin in the way that’s harsh and cruel and unforgiving, because Damien will not. He’s too nice, too kind, too willing to accept her third chin.

Beside her, he starts to stir, his fingers reaching out the brush the skin above her ear, her collarbone, the gentle curve right before her hip, finding her clenched hand and rubbing her knuckles with bony fingers.

“Hello?”

“Hello.”

“Good morning?”

“Good morning.”

Damien smiles, his lazy lips pressing against her cheek, the corner of her mouth. He loves Beth in a way that seems almost unintentional, like maybe she has rolled into his bed through some odd mixture of accident and destiny. Like maybe this thin-wristed boy was just waiting and wishing for a girl as round and pale as the moon.