Chapter 9(part1)

The elevator doors flowed open swiftly and the woman pulled me along and into another plain white room that had one wide glass window, it looked out onto the lame city and went from the floor to the ceiling. I tugged away from her, pressing my face against the glass. It was frigid, like ice. I could see all the monotone people beneath me, walking around like tiny puppets being controlled by a puppeteer. I turned to The Lady. She was vaguely staring out the window.

"Those people, do they take the pills?" I asked expectantly.

She stared at me with another one of her signature grins.

"Why aren't you a bright little six-year old."

How did she know how old I was?

She stared back out the window, her dark eyes were like mirrors, I could see my own reflection in them.

"How did you know how old I was?" I asked her.

She smiled, it wasn't sickly-sweet, it was deadly. I backed towards the window a bit.

"We know a lot about you little girl. More than you know about yourself. You're our key to the Killjoys."

I puzzled, I only knew the killjoys for about a week! I groaned, sitting down with my feet against the window. I clapped them together. She still stood there. Finally I could hear the click of her iniquitous black heels walking out of the room. I heard the sharp slam of the door. As soon as she left I scrambled to my knees on the smooth white tile. I pressed my fingers against the glass, making sure I got fingerprints all over it. I looked out at the bland, lifeless, colorless people outside and immediately thought of the killjoys. They were full of colors. Blues, reds, greens, pinks, purples, yellows...too many to count! I wonder where they are now.