Hide and Seek

(Minecraft characters)

Pat POV

"Jen?" I call out my wife's name in the dark. The power went out, and nothing except the small blue light coming from my eyes lit the space around me. "This isn't funny, come out!" We were playing hide and seek, a Halloween special for our channel. That's when lightning struck a nearby power line. I tap my foot nervously, growing impatient. The silence looming over me, it is too quiet. "Stop joking around!" I shout, my voice echoes across the house with no response.

Suddenly, I hear huge crash to my left, followed by a scream. One of the lights in the recording room flickers, barely Illuminating my path. I see my desk is flipped over completely, and one of the glass doors is shattered. "Hello?" I call fearfully, then regain myself. "I'm not an idiot. Stop doing some stupid Halloween prank."

A small giggle comes from the room. It sounds psychotic. I pull out my phone to call the police, or anyone for that matter, but the screen is nothing but static. With nothing else I'm able to do, I slowly inch towards the office. The uncontrollable giggling continues, growing louder with each step I take. Soon I'll be able to see a figure. She's short, slender, and has pale skin. Long brown hair coming down to her shoulder blades, and a pink bow with hearts curling some of it into a braid. A long pink dress coming down to her thighs. I would say this is Jen but, something seems off. She twitches uncontrollably and seems to be laughing loudly at the wall.

"Jen?" I whisper. The girl turns around, her eyes are pure white and glowing slightly. Some sort of black liquid dripping from her eyes, melting her face slowly like acid. Her smile grows wide and crooked. While her glare makes me tremble. I try to move, run, hide, anything but I'm paralyzed in fear.

"Why, hello there!" Her high-pitched voice echoes in the room. Which is strange, considering it's a fairly small room which we normally use to reduce echo during recordings. "Nice to finally meet you Pat!"

I swallow dryly. "Who are you?" I question the thing standing in front of me.

She bows graciously, "I, am Jenbrian, or would it be Heroen? Nah, Jenbrian. Don't you recognize me?" She asks, seeing the confused expression on my face. She laughs, a cold, chilling laugh, "Oh, of course. What was I thinking? It me, Herobrine, possessing my daughter also known as your wife! What do you think?" She or he or it says, spinning around in a circle.

"Wha, why?" I stutter, still confused. "Why are you here? What do you want?"

"Simple, I want to play a game!"

I look at it skeptically, knowing that Herobrine is the one possessing her. "A game. That's it."

It claps it's hands excitedly, "Yep! I just want to play Hide and Seek! Only three rounds, me seeking in all of them though because hiding is no fun for me!" When it sees my skeptical expression, it giggles and grins sadistically, "My version anyway. If you win, I leave and you get Jen back. But if you lose you will burn to death, slowly but surely, in my hands."

I stare at it in horror, then anger. "You're insane if you think I'm going to do that!" I snap.

Jenbrian giggles again, hovering itself upside-down in the air. "I'm insane either way Glowy-boy! But anyway, it's not like you have a choice. Now I'm going to count to thirty, and then I get two minutes to find you." The office light goes out, the only thing lighting the area around us, was my eyes, and Jenbrian's. It covers them with it's hands and says with glee. "Oooone."

I immediately spring into action. Fear suddenly driving me to get away from that thing. I sprint into a room a few doors away, not to far since normally people check their rooms farthest from them. Knowing my house by memorization, I can tell I'm in the bedroom. I quickly run into Jen's closet, curling into a ball in a space between her shoe rack and the wall. I count the seconds left in my head, adrenaline and blood rushing and my brain on overdrive. That's when I realize something. The blue light, which is brighter than normal due to fear, coming from my eyes is a dead giveaway to where I'm hiding. Jenbrian knew that. With almost no time remaining, I have no choice but to cover my eyes with my hands, hoping that's enough even though I won't be able to see what's going on around me. I try to swallow my fear, and only pray the Jenbrian didn't cheat.