City Of Fallen Angels

“No. That's Clary; shes's my best friend." Simon pocketed his phone. "And she has a boyfriend. Like, really, really, really has a boyfriend. The nuclear bomb of boyfriends. Trust me on this one.” 

“Aren’t they supposed to be hiring someone else to train me full-time anyway?”

“Yes,” he said, getting up and pulling her to her feet along with him,“ and I’m worried that if you get into the habit of making out with your instructors, you’ll wind up making out with him, too.”

“ Don’t be sexist. They could find me a female instructor.”

“In that case you have my permission to make out with her, as long as I can watch.” 

“Jace perched on the windowsill and looked down at him. "You really don't get this bodyguard thing, do you?"

"I didn't even think you liked me all that much," said Simon. "Is this one of those keep-your-friends-close-and-your-enemies-closer things?"

"I thought it was keep your friends close so you have someone to drive the car when you sneak over to your enemy's house a night and throw up in his mailbox."

"I'm pretty sure that's not it” 

“Hey," said Jace. who was sitting on an overturned speaker, looking at his cellphone, "do you want to see a photo of Alec and Magnus in Berlin?"

"Not really," said Simon. 

"Magnus is wearing lederhosen."

"And yet, still no.” 

“What's this?"

"That's a mango." Simon stared at Jace. Sometimes it really is like Shadowhunters were from an alien planet. 

"I don't think I've seen one of those that wasn't already cut up," Jace mused. "I like mangoes."

Simon grabbed the mango and tossed it into the cart. "Great. What else do you like?"

Jace pondered for a moment. "Tomato soup," he said finally.

"Tomato soup? You want tomato soup and a mango for dinner?"

Jace shrugged. "I don't really care about food.” 

“They think they're better than everyone else."

"No," said Jace. "I think I'm better than everyone else. An opinion that has been backed up with ample evidence." 

Kyle looked at Simon. "Does he always talk like this?" 

"Yes.” 

“You're just worried they'll hire a male instructor and he'll be hotter than you." 

Jace's eyebrows went up. "Hotter than me?" 

"It could happen," Clary said, "You know, theoretically."

"Theoretically the planet could suddenly crack in half, leaving me on one side and you on the other, forever and tragically parted, but I'm not worried about that either. Some things," Jace said, with his customary crooked smile, "are just too unlikely to dwell upon.”