II

I cannot express whatever I am feeling right now in words.

I know Mr. Bentley is a nice father and a nice person, so I must feel sadness and grief inside me, but no. I do not feel anything. Sadness, grief, ache, sympathy; nothing. Something is wrong with me. I do not know what to say to Kai when I do not even know how I feel. I am not sure if I am even human if I do not feel anything.

I looked at the gruesome thing on the ground. The only lights that are working are the ones attached to the ceiling of the gasoline station, so I could still make out whatever it looked like. It was hard to identify whatever it is that was splattered on the ground, but the twisted human body beside it made it clear that it was a human. It was. All I could make out was the crumpled body, no head. I cannot even identify the face anymore. It was nothing now. Blood was splattered around the area. I swore it was the brain that I saw nearby. It must have flown off after the impact.

The strange thing was, in the hands of the corpse of Kai's father was a gray cloth. He looked like he clutched it so hard that it ripped off.

"Kai . . ." He was kneeling in front of what used to be his father. The tears are gone. His cheeks were dry. Now he is just staring–glaring–at the body. I touched his shoulder. He did not move. "Kai, let us go back."

He did not reply. I do not even know if he had heard me.

"Kai, let us go–"

"No," he firmly said. I could see his hand forming a fist and then uncurling after again and again. "Just leave me alone."

"Kai, it is dangerous to leave you alone when you are angry," I softly reminded. I know it when he is angry.

His family is one of the well-known rich families in our town. Some things get stolen from them every once in a while, and some people are jealous of them, saying that they were cruel and selfish, some even trying to scare them with death threats. But I think this is too much. I do not even think that they were serious about the threats.

"I'll find whoever it is that did this." He stood up, but he was still looking at the body. I do not know what I can do to stop him now. His father died, after all. It was his father. This is not just something stolen from him. It is someone.

He looked up at the roof where his father fell from and tried finding a way to get up to it. I know that whatever he is planning is stupid. This is all pointless. Why does not he just get over it? His mother and sister do not even know about the news.

I crossed my arms and watched him pull a ladder that he found, positioning it so that he could climb to the roof. I rolled my eyes and tried looking for something else to watch. I do not even want to watch him fail.

While he was climbing the ladder, I remembered what I saw earlier which made me shudder.

The gray cloth on the roof and the gray cloth on his father's hand . . . He must have grabbed it before he fell.

I looked up at the cloth, but it was not there anymore. Kai has also reached the top already, and he was standing in the spot just above me. If his father fell right here, then he would have been pushed off the spot where Kai is standing right now.

"No one's here," he yelled. "Nothing, either."

I nodded. He turned around after a while and started climbing back down the ladder.

"Come on," I told him. "Let us tell your mother."

His eyes were still glued to the body. They were filled with anger and fury. I am surprised that he is calm right now. When he is angry, he usually thrashes out. I was expecting him to start his thrashing, but he nodded. "What about him?"