III

Kai led us to a cabin near the edge of the village, where there were not much other cabins beside ours. It was a bit far from the road. I have no idea where we are, except that we are somewhere that I will call Rempton.

As we walked, I observed the other cabins. They were all dark and they looked abandoned. But of course, they were not. I assumed that everyone was asleep, since it was already midnight.

I paused in front of the doorway as Kai entered the cabin, followed by his mother and Kathleen. I felt the hair at the back of my neck rise, like someone was watching us, but when I looked around, expecting to see whoever Kai talked to, there was no one. It was just the four of us.

The cabin was rather small, but large enough for two bunk beds to be placed across from each other. There was a bedside table at the space between the two beds with a small candle on top of it, and that was all.

"Kai, where's the lovely people who let us stay here?" Kai's mother calmly asked as she lit the candle on top of the table. I can see that she is trying a different approach towards her son, but Kai did not reply.

"Go get some sleep, I'll talk to them about our agreement," Kai said, heading out the door.

"Them? Who're they?" his mother asked, following her son. They passed by me and continued outside, leaving me with Kathleen.

Kathleen looked at me. There was a sleepy look in her eyes. Obviously, her sleep was interrupted earlier.

"I don't wanna stay in a cabin," Kathleen moaned, uncomfortably sitting at the edge of one of the beds. "It's so . . . cramped."

"At least you have somewhere to sleep in." I shrugged, but still staying at my spot at the doorway.

"I'd rather sleep in the van." She rolled her eyes. Then she suddenly shrieked, running towards me and gripping my arm.

"What?"

"Something crawled across my feet!" she shrieked, clutching my arm so hard that I know it will leave marks later.

I wearily sighed and walked off towards where she was standing earlier–there was nothing. I looked under the beds–there was nothing.

"It was probably just an insect," I said with a shrug.

"An insect?!" she shrieked. "I will not sleep in a cabin with . . . with . . . with icky insects!"

I was expecting her to storm off outside, but she did not. She stayed at the doorway, her face turning red with frustration.

"Fine, suit yourself." I rolled my eyes before climbing up the ladder of one of the bunks. I want the bed on top, and now I am taking the opportunity to have it.

After a while, she seemed to get cold outside.

"Veronica, wait for me!" She ran towards the bunk bed and quickly climbed up. She sat across from me and folded her legs to her chest. After a while, though, she was drifting off to sleep. I decided to let her sleep in the bed which I claimed earlier. I will just sleep in the other bed.

Just as I got down from the bed, the door opened and Kai's mother walked inside. I looked behind her to look for Kai, but he was not there.

"Where is Kai?" I asked.

"Oh, he was talking to one of the locals of the village. I told him to come back to the cabin after they finish." She shrugged. "They looked like they were having fun, anyway."

"Where is it?" I asked.

She walked towards the door and I followed after her. She pointed at a large cabin. "There, at the middle of the village."

I nodded and walked off towards the cabin she pointed.

It was a cold night, obviously because it is winter, but this night seemed like . . . the spine-tingling cold. I took my time walking to the cabin, occasionally looking around to look for some movements. I cannot wait to see what the locals look like, yet, at the same time, I am nervous.

I heard some branches breaking behind me. I turned around by instinct. I saw a figure. It was smaller than me, about the same height as Kathleen. I cannot see the face, as it is covered by shadows.

"Kathleen, I thought your mother is back at the cabin?" I asked, but she did not reply. She stood as still as the other trees beside her.

I walked towards her. She took a step back.

"You should not have come here," the figure answered in a monotone-type of voice. It was not Kathleen.

"Who are you?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

She shook her head. "Go back to where you come from. It is not yet your time to die."

What? What is this girl talking about?

"I . . . I do not know what you are talking about . . ." I thought of a good enough question, but nothing I could think of was good enough. "What?"

She sighed. "It is dangerous if you know, but it is far more dangerous if you do not."

She took another step back. I stepped towards her to stop her, but she ran off before I could.

I ran, but not after her. No, not after her.

I ran towards the large cabin; towards Kai. I was desperate for answers. There was too many questions, and I knew that I had to find the answers one by one.

There is a local at the cabin. He might know what the girl is talking about. No, wait. What am I thinking about? How would he know? They might think I am crazy for asking questions they do not know.

"Kai!" I gasped once I slammed the door open. I did not bear any second thoughts when I arrived at the cabin. I just . . . slammed the door open.

But a sight that I did not expect was in front of me. A sight that I was so afraid to come upon.

Kai stood at the middle of the room, another man beside him. The man was curled on his side on the ground, his face scrunched painfully. The wooden ground was becoming soaked with blood. Kai was also soaked with blood. He was holding a knife. There was a stab mark on the man's chest and stomach and anywhere my eyes would land.

Kai's eyes were still on the man. "He killed my dad . . . He killed . . ."

Tears started to fall from his eyes. Then his eyes landed on me. He wiped the tears off then smiled at me.

"Hello, Veronica."

I froze in my spot, trying to anticipate his next move. I saw a flicker of movement–his grip tightened around the knife.

"Veronica, he killed my dad."

No.

"Veronica . . ."

His tears started to fall again.

He took a step towards me. My hands shook but I tried to steady them by clutching the ends of my jacket. The temperature seemed to get higher, as beads of sweat started to form on my face. I ignored it.

I could not think clearly. I did not know whether I should take a step back, try waiting for help or try talking to him to find out if this was just all a joke.

He took another step, the tears gone again. A blood-curling smile etched its way onto his face.

"Hello, Veronica."

There was one thing I was sure of:

He has gone mad.