VII

When I was younger, I thought I could see through everybody's lies since I could point out my father's lies from his truths. I thought I was great at that and I thought I could do it to everyone. But I was wrong.

I stood across from Benjamin and Kai. Kai was carrying Madrigal on his shoulder, and she had stopped squirming since a while ago. Kathleen was quiet behind me as she squeezed my hand.

"So . . . Madrigal was the one who pushed their father?" I slowly asked, making Kathleen squeeze my hand harder. I heard her whimper when she heard what I said, so I just squeezed her hand back as an apology.

Benjamin nodded, a smile on his face like he just won something. "Yes."

"How could . . ." I looked at Madrigal, whom Kai already set down on the ground. "How could you?"

From my spot, I could still see her biting her lip. She kept fiddling with her fingers as she spoke. "I . . . It was . . . I did it to prevent you from coming he–"

"Did you not know how they felt when you killed their father?!" I incredulously asked, my hands shaking from disbelief. I did not know why I was angry at her, since I still did not fully believe Benjamin, and since the one she killed was not even my father. "How could you–"

"It was the only way I could think of, okay?! I thought that if I did it, you would return back where you came from!" she yelled, her tears finally falling as she tightly clasped her hands together. She looked at me, her eyes full of anger. She was angry at herself. "I lived my whole life around killers and psychos. Their way of thinking affected me. I'm . . . I'm so sorry."

She sobbed, turning so that I could not see her face. Her hand covered her eyes as she cried. I bit my lip. I did not know what to do. Should I forgive her because she had no other choice? Or should I not because she still killed a person?

I do not know.

"I thought that killing him would make you all go back. I thought that killing him was better than all of you dying because you ended up here." I could still not see her face even if she was already facing me. Her hand was still held up to her forehead, covering her eyes.

I shook my head and turned to Kathleen. I did not know what to do. I wanted someone else's opinion. I did not want to regret making a decision that was not even right. I leaned down to whisper to her ear. "What do you think?"

Her eyes were glassy, and I could tell that she was holding back her tears. I moved back when I felt her move. She pointed at Madrigal and forced a smile. I furrowed my eyebrows. "We should believe Madrigal? But . . . she was the one who killed your father."

But she just smiled and nodded. I sighed. I hope this is right . . .

"Okay, Madrigal. I believe you. I forgive you," I said, sighing after.

She smiled, finally moving her hand away from her eyes so I could see her slightly red eyes. "Thank you."

She walked to me to hug me, but then she suddenly froze when she was about to take a step. I heard Benjamin clicking his tongue, making some 'tsk' kind of sounds. I looked past Madrigal to see him holding his hand out, his palm facing her. "Not yet, Madrigal. You still betrayed me for helping them."

Her face contorted, like she was trying to speak, but her mouth barely moved. I wonder if this was another one of Benjamin's spells.

"Bring them to the pit," Benjamin ordered, making Kai nod and walk towards us. I took a step back, but he just continued walking. He was like a robot, blindly following orders and commands of Benjamin.

Kai put both of his hands on my shoulders and for a moment, I let myself think that the old him was still in there. Maybe if I talk to him, the old and happy Kai would reappear. But no, I could not. I could not even bear to look him in the eyes. Whenever I look at him, my mouth goes dry and all I see is the Kai who coldly kills people.

He pushed me in front of him and nudged me to walk. I pulled Kathleen in front of me so she would not be walking beside her brother.

We quietly walked, the snow crunching beneath our feet and the cold breeze blowing past us. I have no idea where Benjamin and Madrigal were, but we were nearing a clearing. Some of the villagers we passed by looked at us with an intense look in their eyes. I shuddered a bit when I remembered the scene earlier; the poor man being ripped to shreds, his agonized screams echoing in my head.

In the middle of a clearing was a wooden pole. Some loops of rope were on the ground beside it. However, as the name suggested, the pole was at the bottom of a pit. It was a bit deep. Kai nudged me to hop down and I hesitantly did, going down before Kathleen.

It was really deep, and once we were at the bottom, the ground above reached up to my shoulder.

Kai didn't go down, though. I suddenly became anxious. What will they do to us here? Why did they . . . ?

"Hm . . . I can imagine what would happen next!" Benjamin's voice exclaimed from above. I looked up to see him smirking beside Kai. When did he get there?

Madrigal was nowhere to be found. My heart fell. What did he do to her?

"Where is Madrigal?" I asked, daring myself to look at his eyes. He smirked at me and huffed. People–villagers–started to appear behind him as they eyed us. I flinched as I saw the hungry looks in their eyes. No way . . .

"Madrigal is somewhere you wouldn't want to know," Benjamin said with a smirk. He crossed his arms. "I'm sure that would be the last thing you'd want to think of right now."

I took a shaky step back, my eyes wavering over the playful, but evil smirk on his face. I felt Kathleen tighten her grip on my hand as she moved closer to me. I could feel her nervously looking at the people circling us from above the pit.

"Wh-What are you going to do to us?" I asked, not able to keep my voice from cracking anymore. I was scared, like that feeling I get every time while I was waiting for my father to come home, drunken, and imagining the things he would do once he was home.

Benjamin just smiled, rubbing his hands together. "Oh you'll see."