Chapter 7 - The Disappearing Duchess (part 1)

A few minutes later, Lizzie parked the MGB behind the old fieldstone and wood carriage house at Annie's family's small estate. She removed her kitbag from the passenger seat of the car and went over to a drawer in the old workman's desk and retrieved a key. There was a small folded note under the old-fashioned iron key. L, go in the side door and take the back servant's steps to the top floor and wait in my rooms. A.

Lizzie smiled wryly and quietly and stealthily followed the instructions. In her exquisite red gown, she was not exactly dressed as a ninja but did the best she could to remain quiet and unseen. She unlocked the door and quietly padded up the narrow winding staircase to the back hallway and then to Annie's small suite of rooms. She opened the door and reached for the familiar light switch, Lizzie had been in this room many times over the last ten years or so. She looked around and saw a Post-it note on the small fridge. It read Eat Me. Lizzie smiled at her friend's thoughtfulness as she took off the terribly expensive dress, dropped it to the floor in a heap, and changed into the worn sweats from her bug out bag. Her blood pressure and anger had both subsided and she was in much better humor as she munched on cold pizza from the fridge and sipped on a half-liter can of Heineken. She contemplated the next few steps of her plan. So far all was going well but she knew from her readings of world history that no plan ever survives first contact with battle.

Two hours later as Lizzie was still considering her options and packing her duffel, two vehicles pulled up to the manor house. She could hear voices and then ten minutes later Annie rapped on the door and opened it. She was greeted by much more relaxed young Duchess. Lizzie gestured to the fridge. "Thanks for the snack and pint Annie, I didn't exactly get to eat at the party."

Annie smiled at her friend. "Just doing my part of the plan, your mother did put on quite a spread, however."

Lizzie shook her head and smiled. "How did the rest of the party go after my epic meltdown?" Annie started to remove her jewelry and accouterments as she described the scene. "Yes you put on a very memorable performance, I'm afraid I'm sure you'll be the talk of the town by next week."

"Good. Exactly as I wanted. I hope that Edward and his family are okay with the way things went down as they say on those American cop shows."

Annie slid out of her elegant outfit and stood in her underwear for a moment before finding an oversize T-shirt and comfortable pajama bottoms. She then carefully hung up her dress in the large walk-in closet. "To answer your question about Edward, yes I think he's fine. They talked quietly in the corner and seemed to have come to some sort of agreement. They left after about an hour or so. Do you want to talk about it?"

Lizzie shook her head. "No, I'm afraid I can't. We'll just hope that Edward was not hurt too much by this whole sad episode."

Annie looked down to the fine Tabriz rug and to Lizzie's gown which still lay in a pile. She picked up the expensive dress and smiled at her blonde friend. "You really did look quite smashing in this L."

Lizzie gave her an indifferent shrug. "Keep it."

Annie shook rolled her eyes in disbelief and smiled. "Thanks for the compliment, but I'm afraid I have not been this size since I was thirteen, I'll have it cleaned and get it back to your closet. My prediction is that the next time you wear it we will all get a good laugh at the memory."

Lizzie smiled thinly and whispered. "I certainly hope so."

Annie looked up at the ornate French stomach clock on the mantel above the fireplace. "It's half of 11, if you are going to go through with this, we'd best get on with it. We have to leave for the station in less than five hours."