Day 2 - Jealousy

You Got Asked Out?!

Ash's eyes widened with shock. But May's eyes were filled with awe, and Brock and Max's faces were for the most part mutual, except Brock's who for a clear few seconds showed signs of discomfort before recomposing himself.

Ash meanwhile just blinked, stunned, staring with his mouth agape, he needed to hear what she just said again, hoping it wasn't what he just heard.

"I just can't believe that you were so formally asked out on a date!" May squealed in absolute delight. Ouch, he needed to hear the word 'date' again like he needed his Snorlax sleeping on top of him whilst he was pressed against solid concrete. "Misty! I am so happy for you!"

Misty gave a giggle before replying. "May, please I..."

But Ash tuned her out, he gained control of the shock he had just felt and now was feeling conflicted. It seemed a normal day, just a few hours ago he was delighted to have Phanpy accompany him on a journey once more, and even more so to be reunited with Brock as the Hoenn gang was together again as Ash set out for his Battle Frontier challenge, and May respectively for her challenge of the Kanto Contest circuit. And to top their merry gang together was Misty Waterflower, the same person that Ash first met whilst on his journey through Kanto now four years ago.

She had had to leave him and Brock behind though when their Johto journey had ended, for reasons out of their control just over a year ago, and he had missed her dearly during those months. It just wasn't the same, waking up in the morning and seeing May instead of her, the lack of screaming at the sight of a bug Pokémon, a lack of an angry shout because her Psyduck was causing her a headache once again... He could go on all day about the dichotomy of the situation.

During their time together Ash had learn one thing about Misty, she's not too hard to woo, she fell easily for Danny and Rudy respectively during his Orange Island Crew challenge, and – at least in Danny's case – they didn't even had to do much to get her attention focused on them, and it infuriated Ash to no end.

But these days he knew why it frustrated him, he must really like her, right? The lapses of melancholy that would grip him without her, his ever excited prospect of seeing her once again, and the shock he felt when he found her in his home after he got back from Hoenn all struck him as... Odd. Sure, he had missed Brock when he had temporarily left him and Misty during their time on the Orange archipelago, but he wasn't brooding over it, and the same could be applied to Tracey. But with Misty, yeah, the differences were rather obvious, even to him.

This was why he was so stunned during their early dinner that night at Misty's news that, during his time in Hoenn, she was asked out on a date with genuine romantic intentions, and it wasn't him... It shocked him to his core. He balled up his fist and silently his eyes under the brim of his hat and sat there with a frown on his face. It felt so upsetting, and he was sure, oh how he was so sure she must've said yes.

Ash would bet they were already well acquainted with each other, probably kissed each other already, right? That's the sort of thing couples do, right? All of that, and she never said a word?! Not during all the letters they wrote to each other, the small emails they exchanged, and the one or two calls made away from each other?

It all felt so... Alienating, as if to suggest he meant nothing to her when he felt something...

A voice then broke his thoughts of bitterness. "... Ash? Ash? ASH?!" the voice yelled.

"Huh?! W-what's happening?!" he spewed, flinging his head upwards to see a concern look on May and Brock's faces, and... Misty's.

"Is something wrong, Ash?" Misty began, concerned. Ash wasn't sure he wanted her pity right now.