~Chapter 50~

Just so all of you know, my best male friend and editor wrote the section of Jamie talking to his Dad about Phoebe. I can only take credit for  a word or two here and there in that section. It was just too funny not to use...Hope you enjoy the chapter! Please read, vote and comment! Thanks! 

Belfast, Ireland- Jamie's POV

When I land in Belfast, it is just after 7:30PM, and as he promised, my Da is waiting for me at the gate, and he has Dulcie with him. My girl sees me and squirms in her Grandda's arms, wanting to get down and run to me.

"Shh, poppet, stay with Grandda," I hear my Da tell her firmly. Dulcie lets out an angry whine, but settles down as I approach.

"Daaaadeeeeee!!!!" she howls as I get closer.

"There's my pretty girl!" I exclaim as I take her into my arms, loving her toddler smell of baby shampoo and fruit-scented body wash.

"Where Duck-a, Daddy?" she asks.

"She couldn't come with me this time, Dulc," I reply sadly.

"She wit Mel-ee?" Dulcie asks.

"Yes, baby girl, she's with Mel," I tell her.

"We tawk to dem?" she asks.

"If you're a good girl and take a nap in the car on the way back to Grandda's, you can talk to them," I promise her. It's too close to her bedtime, and I don't want her to get all worked up talking to Dakota right now. If I tell her to take a nap, she'll be down for the night and we can call Dakota before Dulcie's bedtime tomorrow instead.

On the way back to Da and Samina's, I start babbling mindlessly about the beauty of Ireland.

"I had forgotten how green everything is!" I exclaim.

"Yes, it's the Emerald Isle, son...something on your mind?" Da inquires with a raised eyebrow.

I raise one back in response, and Da catches on, that I'm trying to bore Dulcie so she falls asleep.

"Oh, yes! You're right!" he says excitedly. "It is quite green, and so lovely."

"When you've been seeing nothing but concrete and palm trees, the rolling hills are sure a spectacular sight," I state.

I glance into the back seat to find that my plan has worked successfully; Dulcie's head is lolling to the side in her carseat, and she's down for the count.

"She's asleep!" I whisper.

"Good, we can talk after she's in her cot," Da tells me. "Samina has been looking forward to seeing you as well. Phoebe's cutting teeth, so she's fussy, and Samina stayed home with her."

"My poor girl..." I say, recalling Dulcie's misery, and remembering that in the future, I'll be dealing with a double dose of teething infants; I wonder if Dakota's ready for it?

*******************

"Jamie! How are you, my dear?" Samina exclaims happily as I enter the cottage. Dulcie stirs briefly in my arms and then settles again, as Samina gives me an apologetic smile.

"We'll talk as soon as I get her down, Ma," I whisper. Samina nods in response, and I climb the stairs with Dulcie in my arms. Since she's already in her pajamas, I lay her in her cot and cover her with her blanket, making sure she's fully asleep before planting a soft kiss on her forehead and tiptoeing out of the room.