Fates // a mini chapter

+UNEDITED+

            The sound of scissors and of a loom filled the air of the small workshop.  Suddenly the door of the ancient factory flew open.  The room was all of a sudden draped in light as the guest entered the shop.

The sound of scissors and weaving stopped as the women working the loom and deadly pair of shears looked up from their work to find themselves face to face with the messenger of the gods, “Lord Hermes.” One of the old hags cackled, “To what do we owe this pleasure?”

The god’s once light and friendly face now held a look of pain and loss, “I bring message from Athena.” The second old hag gave the god a grim smile, “You of all people should know that we do not change fate.  It is already set.” The god shook his head, “She wishes that you bring back her-”

“We know.” Snapped the third hag, “We know everything.” The messenger nodded as if he wasn’t surprised by their answer, “Then you’ll consider it.” He asked hopefully, “No,” they said in unison, “Fate has been set.” One of the hags smiled grimly, “but not all stories end with the death of a hero.” The hag ran her hand slowly along a long gray string her other hand carefully holding a deadly looking pair of scissors.

The hag at the loom smirked at the god, “You especially will be pleased to know that because of the death of this young hero another will rise, a fallen hero to take the place of the first.” The god looked confused the question of who this hero might be hanging on his lips.  But as always he knew not to delve in the matters of fate and that to ask would be useless. 

The old hags turned away from the messenger to return to their work already knowing that he would leave without question.  All guests did.