five | this is halloween

"That girl is pretty wild nowThe girl's a super freakThe kind of girl you read aboutIn the new wave magazines

The girl's a super freak
The kind of girl you read about
In the new wave magazines."

Super Freak
By Rick James (1981)

Halloween was the Henderson's second favorite holiday as the children dressed up and went out for the night whilst their mother stayed at home handing out candy for the trick or treaters. Valerie used to trick or treat with Nancy and the boys when they were younger but as they all got older, the boys wanted independence and Nancy wanted to go to parties or stay at home. This, of course, left Valerie in an awkward position of wanting to go to parties but also wanting to make sure that her brother was safe and getting candy.

"Alright, Dust. Mama wants to take some pictures. Oh, my god. You look great." Valerie chuckled as she looked at her brother's ghostbuster outfit. In Middle school, everyone used to dress up for Halloween. That was pretty much the best part of school during the year. Dustin and their mother had put an immense amount of effort into his costume to make it look like it was from the movie. "Thanks. Are you not dressing up? I thought you were going as Madonna?" Dustin asked as he put his fake proton pack on his back before walking towards her, his proton gun trailing on the ground. The two had discussed their costumes and they had ultimately landed on Madonna although it was more Valerie's choice than Dustin's as he wanted her to go as the woman from Ghostbusters.

"I have to maintain my status as the freaky girl who never does anything to stick out and plus everyone is going to be dressing up as Madonna. Now come on, Mama wants some pictures of you in that before you leave." Dustin smiled as Valerie draped her arm over his shoulders before walking into the living room where their mother stood, adjusting the camera. "Alright Dusty, go stand in front of the fireplace." The siblings separated as Dustin began to pose and Valerie stood next to her mother. Valerie loved the fact that Dustin was actually into it and posing whereas other kids his age would be telling their mothers that they were embarrassing.

"Oh! I want to see those pearls. Yeah!" Claudia squealed as her son smiled wide, showing off his teeth and causing Valerie to chuckle. She had missed her family's antics. "Who you gonna call?" Claudia and Valerie attempted to sing out the theme to the song as Dustin held up his ghost trap and his mother took another picture with a beaming smile on her face. "Alright, Vallie, you go and pose with your brother." Valerie laughed before standing next to her brother and holding her hands up as Dustin pointed his gun at her.

"Oh Vallie, you should have gone as that girl who's possessed. Oh, what's her name?" Claudia gasped and sighed as her kids stood still in their poses. Dustin rolled his eyes and looked at Valerie with a pointed look to say that even their mother thought she should have gone as Dana. "Um, Mama. Do you mean Dana?" Just as Valerie said the name, her mother gasped and laughed before taking a picture of her children confused faces. "Yep, that was it. Off to school now." The siblings walked out of the house before getting to their respected vehicles.