Ave Maria

Ave Maria, one of the most popular opera arias that Hanna enjoyed, swooped and soared in her ears. Her eyes were closed and she was enjoying the music. Around her was noise. 

She was sitting in a living room. A living room, another title, was apparently a place for people to be loud. The TV was blaring, someone was banging around in the kitchen, and in rooms around the house noise resounded. 

Hanna was living in a mansion.

Evidently, the Lieutenant had some very wealthy friends. 

You see, the Lieutenant herself had been an orphan, and did not relish sending off another unfortunate to the fate of being shuffled endlessly through the system. So, she had begged a very rich family with food and room to spare to take care of her. 

Mr. Goldberg's chauffeur had picked Hanna up from the FBI agency. Hanna was still not allowed to walk, and so she had gone in her wheelchair that the hospital had loaned to her. The Lieutenant said goodbye very politely, and promised to follow up with how Hanna was, and how she liked the Goldberg's. 

The Goldberg's house was very large. It was in a very classy town--St. Charleston, South Carolina. Personally, after having simply passed through, Hanna sort of liked the town. It was a very beautiful place, but slightly stuffy. It was just off the shore of the ocean, but there were no ugly hotels and the tourists were all high-class as well. Hanna wondered how that had happened. 

But the reason Hanna liked the town so much was that it looked very much like France. The few times, while on missions, that Hanna had been in Paris, France it was a place full of Cafes and little shops, just like this town. It had the impression of years and years of survival--most of the roads and sidewalks were brick. 

But, out of them all, the Goldbergs' house had to be the biggest. Hanna was not impressed by this. The first thing most lottery winners did was buy a mansion. The thing they did after that was, of course, go bankrupt. 

In the main lobby of the gigantic house, Hanna met Mrs. Goldberg. Mrs. Goldberg was a very old lady, in her late sixties, who looked like a heiress from the 1800's. She was clad in a very glamorous dress, her hair and earrings done up as well. She was heading out the door.

"Oh, dear," she said, "are you the little orphan girl? I'm very sorry, I'm off on my way to tea. The head maid will show you to your room. Dinner is at six, though I doubt if I'll be there."

"'Sank you, Madame." Hanna said, trying to be courteous, something she'd read about.

"Oh my, what an accent. Are you French?"

"Yes, Madame."

"Well, we'll get more acquainted later. Make yourself at home!" She said, rushing out the door. In her wake stood a tremulous, gray lady. She was in her late fourties, but her hair was already turning rather gray. She had a serious and strict face. She was wearing the usual house maid attire--a black dress, long and straight, and a white apron. her hair was back in a ponytail.

"Hello, I am Harriet Gillman. I am the head maid. This way, and I will explain the house rules." 

The house was set in the old style. Large staircases and crystal chandeliers that reminded Hanna very much of Mrs. Goldberg. Set of china in glass cabinets and large statues, as well as garden pavilians that let out to the air. All in all, a very glamorous set-up. Along the way to wherever they were going, Madame Gillman laid out the rules.

"In this house there will be no running, jumping, or childish behavior. No loud noises, no raised voices. There will be alcohol consumption only for those over the age of 18 and with identity. You will respect the fact that some of these rooms are locked for a reason, and you will not try to enter them. In general, act like a grown-up. You will go to school every week-day. Under no circumstances will you disgrace the name of Goldberg, do you understand?" Hanna nodded. "Several other occupants live here with the Goldbergs. You will treat them with respect as well. Do not be rude." 

The group arrived at a wooden door in a long corridor.

"This is your room." said Madame Gillman. She opened the door and let Hanna in. "You are allowed to decorate it in any way that is not costly to the Goldberg's and is not destructive. This is your permanent residence until you are the age of 18 and the Goldbergs are your legal guardians. Welcome." The woman's face contorted in a grimaced smile. "Dinner is at six. You start school tomorrow. If you are desirous of any material for school or clothes, Maid Harriet leaves to the market after dinner at seven." Madame Gillman left the room, leaving a long silence. Hanna looked around.

It was a plain room. There was one window in a wall that looked out over the ocean. A bed was in the middle with pale blue sheets. The walls were the same color as the sheets. The floor was panneled in mahogany wood. A dresser stood in a corner.

It was not like her last room, but it would do for Hanna. She opened the window from her wheelchair and the cool sea air blew in. It was four o' clock, nearly two hours till dinner. Hanna put away all of the things she'd brought with her--clothes from her room, her headphones, her iPod, her iPod charger. That was it. That was all she needed. 

 Of course, she tried to get her favorite gun out--the MK54 automatic weapon. But evidentally there were rules about that sort of thing in the United States. Hanna didn't fight the Lieutenant on it, but she wanted to. That MK54 was her favorite gun. 

A/N sorry for lack of length and such a long interval between chapters. I hope to upload more soon. Support me by commenting and voting if you like The Aria!