Chapter 3

The morning sun peeked in through my bedroom window and gently caused my eyes to flutter open. There were two messages waiting for me on my phone, one from my dad, and the other from Nick. I opened my dad's first since my duties hold until every agent involved in a mission has been given a final confirmation. It was done, and my job was done as well. I next opened Nick's and smiled softly as it read:

Nick: Good morning beautiful, how was the party last night?

I sighed sleepily and lazily nestled deeper into my comfy bed. Ow, I was right; I woke up with sore muscles and bruises on my arms from when the securities grabbed me so roughly. I mean I'm used to being man handled, but these guys were really strong.

Aside from that I had a good escort experience with Justin, and his concert tonight had me excited. He was nice too, along with being a charmer and good dancer. Basically everything that every girl imagines he'd be which is odd for some like me to say. I looked towards my clock, crap, it was almost 9 and Lydia wanted to see me today. I slinked off my bed whining because of my sore muscles, and waddled into the bathroom. I hit the shower, got out, and put on long sleeve clothing even though it was 90 degrees outside.

My parents weren't home; they were off in New Jersey so I was just at home with Chris. I live with my mom, step dad, and stepbrother. My biological parents divorced when I was 12, splitting custody of me. Their break up was strange though, there was never any tension between them and they carried on with each other in the same way they always had, only now they didn't touch. I guess it made it easier for me to deal with. My mom got remarried to a man named Matthew Riverbed, and he is my dad's best friend, the same way that Matthew's former wife, Miranda, is my mom's best friend, weird right?

I look at them sometimes in total shock of how things turned out. Matthew is an agent like my parents, but Miranda is not, in fact, she doesn't even know who she's really friends with or that her son Chris is also an agent. My mom and step dad work under the cover of cryptozoologists, and they take it to heart. They've gone all over the world to add to their research, you could never tell what they really did. Then again when they leave the country it's because of their orders and they use their 'profession' as a cover up. We work our covers well; it's what keeps us out of trouble. Mine is a college student, typical, but it works. I joined Chris in the kitchen and lazily poured myself a bowl of cereal.

Since my parents were out in New Jersey for their cryptozoology studying the Jersey Devil, it was just me and Chris for the rest of the week. Last night’s events hung over us in sleepiness; we'd gotten in close to 3 in the morning. Chris took a bite out of his toast and noticed my clothes. “Is it bad this time?” he asked. I rolled up my sleeves slowly, wincing as I finally uncovered the large purple bruises on my arms. “Ahhhh, that's bad.... Do the guys look worse than you?”

“I hope so.”

“You're a good agent kid.”

I laughed thanking him with a nod.

Back in the academy, if we complained of bruises and pains, they'd pat us on the shoulder and say, “You're a good agent kid.” My phone vibrated in my pocket and my heart fluttered for a moment as I saw it was Justin. He was serious about me coming then.

Justin: Morning there pretty escort of mine, you still coming to my show tonight?

I blushed even though I knew he couldn't see me.

Me: Mmhmm, I'm excited to see you perform!

Justin: I'm just as excited to see you ;), I'll send a car out for you, be ready by 6:30, see you soon