Chapter 4: The Shane Gang Returns

Escaping the labyrinth that had lead to the Lightwell was easier on the way out. It feels weird without Shade though. His company had made the journey less...disturbingly unsafe. Well at least it felt that way now. I knew that Blakk would be coming after me. As I sprinted through the corridors, I thought of what I would have to do when I got home. I had been hoping I would have another couple years before I had to do this, but alas, time was not on my side. As the exit came into view, I breathed a sigh of relief. I slowed to a walk as I emerged. There were two Shadow Clan out there and they appeared to be arguing. I recognized Shade and the leader. I had forgotten to remove the Shadow Talker and heard their conversation.

"You ask to go with the girl, then abandon her when a strange figure appears? This was your last chance to prove that you would be a good warrior. Not only have you failed to do so, you have become a disgrace with all of your wrong doings. Though you are my offspring and it hurts me very much to do so, I am going to have to banish you from the Clan."

Shade tried to protest but his leader, father I guess, disappeared. I heard the door behind me close. Shade looked over and saw me standing there. He got a look similar to embarrassment in his face.

"If you need somewhere to stay, you can come live with me." I say, not even pretending not to have overheard the conversation.

"Thank you for your generosity and honesty but I am aware my people and your people do not get along very well. I could not take you up on your hospitable offer, for I fear it would invoke the wrath of your fellow Slugterrans and your Guarding."

"Guarding?" I say, confused.

"You just witnessed my Guarding and I arguing." Shade states.

"Oh, my people calls those parents. But anyway, my Guarding wouldn't mind. She is absolutely fine with your people."

Shade looks at me, an unsure glint in his bright green eyes. After a moment he nods. I smile and hop on my Mecha.

"I hope you don't have any diversions to light because it's bright as Ember up top." I state with a little chuckle.

My Mecha easily clambers up the steep cliffs. Shade follows me carefully. When we reach the top, I give Shade a moment to adjust before going all out, speeding towards my home. Its getting dark so my Mecha is going as fast as it can as a I try and beat the oncoming darkness. I skid to a stop in front of the garage, stirring up quite a bit of dirt. I hustle my Mecha inside and let Shade in to before closing the door.

"Wait here." I tell Shade.

He nods once more as I hurry inside to talk with my mom. It didn't take much to convince my mom to let Shade stay here. She had long since gotten used to the Shadow Clan due to my father's connection with them. Shade enters out house and is obviously very confused by it. I lead him to the room that my mom said he could stay in. Then I head to my own room. I am exhausted and need as much energy as possible to make the journey tomorrow. I just hope that I can get them all together in time.

...

I wake up early the next morning. I scrawl a note for my mother, grab a quick breakfast, and leave. I put my Mecha into full gear. I have many places to visit. My first stop is a house out here in the free lands. I see Misc outside, practicing with his slugs. I skid to a stop.

"Hey Elixir." He greets, "What brings you here, obviously not seeking my company."

I give him a glare and toss a note at him.

"It's time. Meet at my house for nightfall." I tell him and ride off.

My next stop is a Molenoid town.

"Give me back my Flatulorhinkus Lyraka!" I hear Jones demand.

"Lyraka shall not give you back your Slug brother. Lyraka's Slug is stupid and worthless and Lyraka is taking yours."

I sigh, hop of my Mecha and run up to the battling siblings. I snatch Jones' Flatulorhinkus from Lyraka and toss it to him. Then I place a note in Jones' hand.

"Meet at my place for nightfall."

Then I get back on my Mecha and race off.

My last stop is the farthest of all. Outside if the scientist's city is where my final recruit lives. I arrive right in schedule. I knock on the garage door. It pops open to reveal a small cave troll with pale blue skin. I place the note in Wyatt's hand. Then I wink and get back on my Mecha. I hear him call to his parents before his own Mecha roars to life and we head back to my house. We arrive at my house just as the others arrive. I quickly usher them all inside.

"You all know why I need you all to be here. My father has disappeared and I cannot face the unrest in Slugterra alone. As an added 'bonus', Dr. Blakk has resurfaced, though now more of a Dark Bane than a human. I fear for what sick, twisted plans he may bring into our world now." I take a deep breathe after my speech and survey their faces.

Shock, then determination flash across them.

"Will you join me and forge the new 'Shane Gang'?"

"Yes. Yes we will."

"Excellent," I clasp my hands frog ether and smile at my friends. "Now, let's locate and retrieve  my father and keep the shadow of the Dark Bane out of Slugterra. Permanently this time. Besides, Slugterra isn't exactly going to say itself, now is it?"