homeless「 e & g 」

today was your first day of work, you had moved from a little town in alabama to nyc.

"thank you so much sir,"
you said to the taxi driver as you handed him a $50 bill,

"keep the change!"
you said as you grabbed your purse and opened the door to get out.

"thank you ma'am, hope you've a wonderful day! good luck on the first day!"
the taxi driver said to you giving you a thumbs up.

you closed the door and looked around the big city, the streets were extra crowded today. people were running and rushing around to get to their places, you walked through the street being shoved around by multiple people. you then accidentally bumped into one guy causing you to drop your purse.

"oh my, i'm so sorry! i'm on the way to work right now and it's my first day and i'm super late!"
you said as you looked up at him, thinking that he looked very similar to your boss. almost like he was his twin brother.

"no my fault, i should've looked where i was going."

the guy had said to you while bending down to get your purse, he handed it back to you giving you a huge smile and you took it from him gently. you realized what kind of clothes he was wearing, his t-shirt and sweatpants were both ripped, and stained with dry blood and dirt. he had multiple bruises on his face, old and newly fresh ones. he had a black eye on his left and dry blood on his lip.

"hello? love, are you okay?"
he said to you as he waves his hand in your face.

"oh sorry i didn't mean to yeah."
you said while stumbling on your words.
your heart was broken seeing him like this.

he laughed, and had a big smile on his face the whole entire time. but you could tell he was completely broken on the inside but didn't want to show it.

"well um, you better hurry now or else you'll be extra late for the first day."

the guy said to you. before you could say anything else he gave you another quick warm smile before walking away. you looked back at him and watched him as he walked through the street with his head down. people were staring at him with a disgusted look on their faces as he walked by.

________

"i'm so sorry sir that i'm late!"
you shouted as you walked into the door.

"about time, i didn't think you would even show up. why are you so late?"
mr. dolan had said to you as he turned around looking at you in the eye.

"um uh, i got lost."
you mumbled, knowing that if you said you ran into a homeless guy and lost track of time he would think you were lying.

"hmph, i don't appreciate being lied too. i saw you running into the guy down the street."
he said to you with a stern look, also referring that he saw you through his big office window.

"i'm so sorry sir. i'll just go get your coffee."
you said putting your head down as you turned around to open the door.

suddenly he grabbed your arm and twisted you around gently to face him.

"i think i should tell you who that homeless man that you ran into was."
he said not making eye contact with you.

"oh, he looked exactly like you! almost like you two were twi-"

"his name is grayson dolan,"
he was now looking in your eyes, his eyes were glossy and his lips were trembling.

"he's my twin brother."