Legalize Prostitution Speech (Human Sexuality)

Sex is often thought of as something beautiful, something intimate and private. I grew up in a household that told me sex was between two people who loved one another, yet we all hear stories about unloved sex. One night stands and pornography. Friends with benefits and prostitution. Out of all these, only one is illegal. Why? It's not hard to say or to think that prostitution is illegal because it is demeaning and exploitive to women. Except most prostitutes enjoy and love their job. There is the argument that legalizing prostitution will increase human trafficking, but Nevada has many legal brothels and there has been no sign of human trafficking flooding the state. Prostitution should be legalized because it should be considered a women's right to do with her body as she wishes, it would be safer for women, and it can be regulated and taxed.

There are some people that say women do not need feminism anymore, yet Todd Akin, a former holder of a seat in the House of Representatives, said that a woman's body can shut down a pregnancy in the case of a legitimate rape. The Washington Post says, "Akin's claim is one that pops up occasionally in social conservative circles." Women still do not earn as much money as men with the same job. The Bureau of Justice Statistics says, "In 1995, 29% of rape or sexual assault victimizations against females were reported to police. This percentage increased to 56% in 2003 before declining to 35% in 2010." And let's not forget that men get raped too. Women have the right to be treated as equals. Women have the right to do with their bodies as they wish. We are able to buy pornography and contraceptives. We are allowed to go to strip clubs and watch live sex cams. Prostitution is seen as a way to manipulate and take advantage of women. But how does prostitution differ from pornography or sex cams? The reality is that most prostitutes feel powerful by helping their clients be better at sex, making people feel less lonely, and by improving their clients' self-esteem (Weitzer 7-8). Most prostitutes enjoy their job. They should not be hunted for doing what they see as important. Legalizing prostitution would allow uneducated and unskilled women, who are willing to do the job, be able to support their families through legal means, even though it is seen as dangerous.

Prostitution is seen as a dangerous position because prostitutes could be beaten and raped by their clients. Or if they work on the streets, by their pimps. In Legalizing Prostitution, Ronald Weitzer says "[Prostitutes are] abused by pimps, and are vulnerable to being assaulted, robbed, raped, or killed on the streets" (19). The stereotype of prostitutes is that they are addicted to drugs and have many STI's. Susanne Montgomery and Heather Diaz say in "Prostitution" in the Encyclopedia of Women's Heath that "prostitution accounts for 3-5% of sexually transmitted infections... compared to 30-35% attributable to teenagers." If prostitution was legalized, prostitutes would not have to fear being hurt. They would be able to report the abuser and see justice done without worrying over going to jail. Many say a raped woman asked for it because they let their guard down, they were drunk, or they were wearing provocative clothing. They demand why the victim thought they were safe walking around at night. Imagine what people would say about a woman whose profession is having sex. If prostitution was legalized, prostitutes would be able to make sure their clients were clean and they would have access to contraceptives, to reduce the risk of getting an STI or an unwanted pregnancy. It could eliminate the prospect of women in this profession being hurt. If prostitution was legalized, it would allow for a freer, safer, and just world.

With prostitution legalized, it can be regulated. Meaning the prostitutes and the clients would have to be checked for sexually transmitted infections. While prostitution may not be a major cause of spreading STI's, it is still an epidemic in the United States. Regulating prostitution could help lessen the spread of STI's. It could lessen the stigma of sex and allow talking about sex to be easier and more educational. Plus if regulated, it can be taxed. The article "Sin Taxes" in the journal Society, Peter Lorenzi says "An ethic of sacrifice suggests that limits or taxes on less socially desirable behaviors can contribute to the common good and support a broader social interest" (60). It is said that at least two million dollars in Nevada alone could be added to the tax revenue per year (National Public Radio). If prostitution was legalized throughout the United States and all one million prostitutes were taxed, as much as twenty billion dollars could be added to tax revenue per year (Tracey Pierce Sonntag). That is a lot of money that could go to science, medicine, helping the poor, and funding schools and students.

Prostitution is said to be one of the oldest profession. It is said there were prostitutes as far back as in ancient Rome and ancient Greece times. Popes have tried to tax prostitution so people would stop going to them. All it got those Popes was more money. Prostitution will probably always be around. So instead of trying to get rid of it, let's just try to make is as safe as possible. Maybe being accepting of sex will allow the discussions between couples that need to happen, actually happen. That could make going to prostitutes less and less likely. But until the time where sex is an open and honest, un-embarrassing topic, we should at least try to make prostitutes be treated like real people. Which is why prostitution should be legalized, because it supports women's rights, it would allow everyone to be safer, and it could be taxed, benefitting everyone.

Works Cited

Blake, Aaron. "Todd Akin, GOP Senate Candidate: 'Legitimate Rape' Rarely Causes Pregnancy." The Washington Post. Washington Post, 19 Aug. 2012. Web. 16 Oct. 2014.

Lorenzi, Peter. "Sin Taxes." Society 41.3 (2004): 60. Print.

Montgomery, Susanne, and Heather Diaz. "Prostitution." Encyclopedia of Women's Health. Dordrecht: Springer Science and Business Media, 2004. Credo Reference. Web. 4 Nov. 2014.

Planty, Michael, Ph.D, et al. "Female Victims of Sexual Violence, 1994-2010." Bureau of Justice Statistics. U.S. Department of Justice, Mar. 2013. Web. 16 Oct. 2014.

"Prostitution Tax Proposed in Nevada." National Public Radio. National Public Radio, 24 Mar. 2009. Web. 4 Nov. 2014.

Sonntag, Tracey Pierce. "Tax Revenue." Case for Legalizing Prostitution. Case for Legalizing Prostitution, 2009. Web. 4 Nov. 2014.

Weitzer, Ronald. Legalizing Prostitution: From Illicit Vice to Lawful Business. New York: New York University, 2012. Print.