Chapter 15

Her voice faded to a soft whisper as she absorbed the letter's words.

'This to the Lauderhill heir who has solved the riddle of the message. I reveal to you in this letter by my hand, the secret of the 'Pledge'. Within the layer between the lining and the back cover are documents bearing the signature of George 11 King of Great Britain, which declaration gives ownership to the Lauderhill clan member who presents them, for several hundred acres on the island of Jura, at the entrance to the Firth of Lorn in the Inner Hebrides.

On the eastern coast of the island stands the Lauderhill castle, a wood and stone edifice erected by the members of my clan to withstand all assaults.

Be it known to all that this is Lauderhill property and is decreed as such by Great Britain's King.

On the reverse of this letter is a map of the castle interior showing the location of the Lauderhill cameo that was presented to me by Duncan McTeig on the battlefield after the defeat of our foes outside Canlief. Whomever becomes the owner of these bequests is at liberty to use or dispose of them as they desire, although keeping the cameo in the clan's heritage would be of sound determination.

Alec Lauderhill (1778)'

Walter was already slicing the lining of the back cover and when Marcee finished examining the map he handed her another set of fragile papers containing the right of ownership to the described land and signed by George 11 of Great Britain.

"My God, this signature alone is worth a fortune!" Walter breathed.

"Do you think it's still in effect?"

"That could be a tough one. Certainly you'd have a good case for your claim."

Marcee reread the papers and shook her head in amazement. "This Alec Lauderhill must have figured somebody would have solved this a long time ago. I mean, talking of having a castle that could withstand all assaults. It sounds like he expected some kind of conflict and that the castle might actually come under siege."

"I think first of all you have to find out if the place is still standing. Not much point in that map if it's all condos or factories or something. Where exactly is it anyway?"

Marcee went to a shelf of books and brought back an atlas, thumbing through to the British Isles. "Here it is," she pointed to the North Channel between Scotland and Ireland. "It's just about opposite Glasgow."

"So now what?"

"I already contacted a firm a while ago in Scotland regarding any files they might have on David Highcourt; they are supposed to send me copies of whatever they find in their archives. They might just be the people to hire to represent my claim. I'll speak to the agency lawyer and get his suggestions."

"So you're really gonna do this?"

"Of course! It's a legitimate claim."

"But over two hundred years, Marcee. It could be an expensive undertaking."

"I think I'll be able to manage the expenses. I'll let you know how it turns out." She closed the atlas and returned it to the shelf. "I thought you might be interested enough to pursue it with me." Her voice broke and she covered it with a cough. "After all, you found the papers."

Walter tried to think of something relevant to say, something that would contribute to her expectations without actually committing himself too deeply. Walter was lazy and he knew it, and chasing after ancient bequests with all the time and effort it would consume left him less than enthusiastic. He tried rationalizing but at the appearance of her stubborn jaw, he sat back and closed his eyes.

"That's it? Don't you even have a curiosity about all this?"

"Sure I do; I helped with all this stuff didn't I?" He indicated the papers and the family book. "But I'm not in a position to just leave work and start running after ancient mysteries; this kind of thing costs money, Marcee." He reflected on his cavalier fantasy of taking a sabbatical and damn the consequences but now, presented with the challenge, he balked.

"I suppose the tidy amount you got from my grandmother's house is already spoken for."

He sat up and then stood, facing her, thoughts of the fortune she inherited.

"That's not fair."

After the property had all been disposed of, Belinda's attorney called Marcee in and explained her inheritance of several millions of dollars she nearly fainted but gradually came back to earth when it was explained that she was required by the terms of the will to accept two million as her own personal inheritance. The balance was to be managed through an existing trust for the families of the Pattervane estate, and the ongoing maintenance of the public lands Belinda had originally bequeathed.

She bit her nail and shook her head. "I know. I'm sorry, Walter. I just- it's something that was so important to my family I can't ignore it. I can't."

The Inevitable

It became one of those cliché moments so often used on the screen. Violins crept slowly into the silence then soared to a crescendo as he moved across to her, took her in his arms and with equal desire, they stood swaying to the music in their minds while locked in a hungry kiss. Everything else around them diminished and their embrace carried them effortlessly to the rumpled bed sheets on the sofa.

Emotionally spent and still a little giddy over the event, they gradually became aware of the consequences of their act and a dulling seriousness overwhelmed them both. Walter tidied up the living room and put the bedding in the laundry hamper while Marcee fussed about the kitchen with dishes and generally avoided conversation.

"I guess I should, uhm- I better get to work or..."

"Oh, right. Yes, well thanks for your help..." The sentence trailed off as they came together once again in a tender embrace.

"Marcee, I don't know what to say."

"Me either." She buried her face in his neck. "Are we breaking any laws do you think?"

"Certainly none that worry me," he said, moving her back so that he could look at her face. "This has been something that I thought about a long time ago... at your grandmother's funeral." He blushed and chewed a lip. "I know what that sounds like but—"

"Don't try to explain. It isn't necessary. The feeling was mutual." She smiled up at him and they kissed once again.

Walter stepped back and grinned expansively. "Now I don't know how to leave gracefully... or if I even want to."

"It might be a good idea. I think this needs some serious thought without distraction." She waited until he gathered his things and then led him to the door. "I will call you tonight after I speak to the lawyer."

Walter's face registered shock and she began to laugh. "About the claim. The family claim." She laughed harder as he blinked in relief.

"For a minute there..." They shared another laugh and then Walter dragged himself away, waiting until her door closed after him.

*****

Garfield explained to his mother that release of any of the documents they copied for Marcee would require her authority as she has since hired them to represent her on a family matter in Scotland.

"She knows." Lucinda crushed her napkin and threw it on the tea tray. "She solved the clue to the 'Pledge'."

"How can you be sure, mother?"

"Don't be so thick, Garfield. First she gets them to root around in their archives and then she suddenly hires them to represent her over there. What do you think she's doing?"

"What are we going to do?"

"Get your cousin over here; we need to make some plans."