Chapter 4

"What are you doing here?! Didn't Erik tell you not to come down here?"

He'd been in the middle of therapy and he'd fallen, lost his grip on the handrails and down he went.

"He did, but I wanted to see you. We just got in–"

"Get the hell out of my sight, Livvy!" He'd managed to get off his butt, at least, pushing Cassie, his therapist away angrily but Olivia wasn't budging. Instead, she continued to walk toward him.

"I'm not leaving, Josh Morin! I want to help you–"

"I don't want your fucking help, you bitch! When do you ever listen to me? Get the fuck out of here!"

She'd stopped then, her eyes wide, her expression shocked. Then it was replaced by anger. "Wait! What did you just call me?"

"Do you have to ask what I just called you, you bitch? Or do you want me keep going? Get out!"

Even Cassie had gasped but I was beyond caring.

"Well, fine, you asshole!" Olivia countered angrily, though I saw her eyes glisten with tears. "I'm leaving!"

"Fine! And don't let the fucking gate hit you on your way out, you cu–"

"Earth to Josh, come in! Come in!" Olivia called out, skipping and hopping from one flagstone to the next although she had stopped and was facing him, her hands on her hips. "Did you even hear a word I've been saying?"

Josh blinked his eyes, realizing he was heading toward the casita with Olivia walking ahead of him. Lunch was over and she'd managed to convince him to take her with him to the casita to talk. In the past, they used to take a hike around the property, but not anymore. He was a cripple and he might as well take up stamp collecting.

"No, I wasn't listening."

"I knew it," she said, shaking her head.

"Look, Livvy, I'm really sorry for what I said the last time you were here. I was being an ass and I am sorry. I really am."

"Thank you," she said before walking ahead of him and stopping before the hill sloped down. As soon as he caught up, she grasped the railing and started walking again, carefully watching her step.

Just like the rest of the fence surrounding the casita, the handrails were built from pieces of wood found along the property, treated with a finish that protected it from the elements. It made them blend with the landscape and he liked it that way. They were sturdier than they looked. No hollow pieces of wood here, no sir.

Josh shifted his cane to his right hand and gripped the railing with his left. He felt clumsy, even though he knew he was much stronger than the last time Olivia saw him. He may whine about his leg but he worked on strengthening it everyday, and in the afternoons, he'd sit outside and rub his leg with a lotion that had arnica and other homeopathic ingredients in it. Cassie said it helped reduce inflammation and reduce pain.

His foot slipped then and Josh cursed, his right hand releasing his cane to grab the handrail. But Olivia was suddenly next to him, her hands gripping his right arm. She had his cane on the crook of her elbow.

"I got you," she said. "This slope sure can get slippery. Maybe steps would be great here. What do you think?"

Josh didn't need to tell her that she was right. He'd make sure to double-check his to-do list, just as soon as he caught all the bad guys.

She let go of his arm the moment they reached the bottom of the slope. Then she handed him his cane and accompanied him to the patio.

"I'm a cripple, Liv." He took a deep breath as he turned to look at her. She was standing so close to him and he could smell the scent of jasmine in her hair. "Why are you even here?"