Chapter 4: Riley

"Bitch," I mumbled.

  I swung my backpack to my left side and stared up at the gigantic faded building. Inside was a living nightmare of judgmental and hormonal teenagers. It was rare that I passed by someone without them staring at me. Nobody knew how to mind their own business, especially when it came to my sister and I. 

   'How are they so different?' Most of them would comment. And the simple answer is that I'm right and she's wrong. Somehow I learned what logic is and she missed it by a mile, instead she got to be pretty and popular. Of course that will last her a lifetime of happiness, because everything in high school matters later in life.

  If only that were true.

  Damian was by his locker picking at something green in a bag. It must have been another episode of: What Did Damian Forget This Time? And on today's episode he figures out what meat did that sandwich used to contain? Or did it contain meat at all? No one will ever know!

  He tossed the green sandwich back into his locker and slammed it closed. 

   "Hey!" I greeted my friend.

   "What's up?" Damian leaned against his locker.

   "My sister was up my ass this morning, want to go outside?" 

  Demon was no where to be spotted and I did not feel like facing my first class without her. It was an English class and almost every cheerleader was part of it. My teacher loved their free spirit and willingness to learn. It made me look ten times worse when I didn't turn in my assignments.

  Damian followed my lead to sneak back through the front doors. The security looked down on us, but let it slide. A few students were running down the hall chasing after another one, and that was much higher on their priority list.

  The freshly watered grass on school grounds has never stopped me from getting across the football field to get to the bleachers. It had become a cozy spot for my friends and I to get away from the school.

   "Where's Demon?" I asked him as he lit a cigarette. 

   "I don't know. Probably late," he leaned over to light the one stuck between my lips..

   "What's going to happen after this year?" I asked and breathed out the toxins.

   "I don't know," Damian shrugged. "I'm clear for graduation,"

   "You are?" I was surprised. 

   "Yeah, are you?"

   "Yeah, barely," I laughed.

  One of the three gym teachers caught us behind the bleachers after second class period was over. And was also happy to give both of us detention for skipping class. Damian and I headed back to the school, while laughing about how red he'd gotten. 

   "He was more like a chili pepper," Damian commented.

  I snorted with tears threatening to roll down my cheeks. 

   "So," he calmed. "I'll see you at lunch,"

   "Yeah," I nodded. "See you,"

  My knees kicked at my book bag that was hanging too low. The next class I had was biology with Mr. Jones. He had no trouble of scolding my tardiness and compared me to my sister. I should be more like her because she's the perfect student

  I plopped myself down in my seat next to my science partner: Jennifer. She was a chatter box and always had to compliment my "edgy" style. And she would dress like me, but her mom doesn't let her.